Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a such thing as a twin turbo set-up with different sized turbos that are dedicated? A turbo for the low RPM and a switchover turbo for HIGH rpm? If that isn't in place, does it sound like a realistic thing? Do you think someone could come up with something like that?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Yes it has been done.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think my D16 would need it, but im at work right now and I was just thinking about it and thought it was interesting. Just wondered if it had been done or not?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
google "sequential turbo"

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
iirc; rx-7s (fd's?) used a smaller turbo to spool at low rpm's, and a larger snail to provide a top-end. The smaller turbo helped spool the large turbo faster, like what a blower does for a twin-charge set-up

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
google anti-lag as well for a similar idea.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
anything is possible

all it takes is money

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
And its totally pointless. Its just a bling factor. A larger t3/t4 is pl;enty for down low rpm. Anything that spools fast and makes power down low will actually slow your car down due to traction loss at low speeds. Too big and welcome to lag heaven. Picking the right turbo for your needs/goals is key and a twin turbo setup on a 1.6 is a waste of time and money imho. Plus, now you have to spool that thing with half the cylinders. Doesnt make much sense in my book except to tell your buddies "I have a twin turbo Honda"

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
And its totally pointless. Its just a bling factor. A larger t3/t4 is pl;enty for down low rpm. Anything that spools fast and makes power down low will actually slow your car down due to traction loss at low speeds. Too big and welcome to lag heaven. Picking the right turbo for your needs/goals is key and a twin turbo setup on a 1.6 is a waste of time and money imho. Plus, now you have to spool that thing with half the cylinders. Doesnt make much sense in my book except to tell your buddies "I have a twin turbo Honda"
very good point. Im sure a lot of others would agree with you on here

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
2,915 Posts
Thats how Supra's come stock...with twin sequnetial turbos.

it would be pretty pointless on our motors though if you ask me... but hey go for it haha
EXACTLY what I was gonna say. About supras and it being pointless.

But just FYI, a lot of people go to one turbo on supras. I think the smaller turbo is just there for the non-car people to feel some power in the lower RPMs because they don't know you'd have to rev it up to get more power or something of that nature. *shrug*

·
Registered
106 Posts
It sure can be done but not like the one pictured above. For sequential turbos, you need to have all of the exhaust running to both turbos, not two cylinders per turbo like was done above. Really, with a d-series I dont know that it would make that big of a difference. At least it wouldnt make enough of a difference to justify the extra work and cost in my opinion. If you really want boost that quickly why not just get a really nice bb turbo like a disco potato or something ya know?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Who needs fast spooling... I would rather lose bottom end power and gain alot more up top then have a fast spooling turbo that has no top end power.

If you want to spool fast on a big turbo then throw a 50 shot on along with it. :mikej:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts