Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I've heard there was a rash of those Continental Ethanol Content sensors that were counterfeit - maybe this is one of them?

either way I'm leery of these

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
[URL="http://www.haltech.com/flex-fuel-sensor-explained/?]Haltech Flex Fuel Sensor[/URL]

Here's one ^^^^^ but after watching that video I want to know how these actually work. He says in the video they sense conductivity of the fuel.
There is anhydrous ethanol and hydrous ethanol, anyone know if the sensor works with either type? Hydrous ethanol has ~5% water so it would change the sensor's reading compared to the anhydrous ethanol, correct?

I'm just wanting to know if the GM/Continental sensor is legitimate and can be trusted to tune with E85 and other ethanol fuels?

I've heard many Flex Fuel drivers complain about performance loss on E85, could it be a conservative tune when Flex Fuel is active? Retarded timing? Undersized injectors? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yea, I can see it being an issue. My wife uses what is classified as 100% ethanol on her genetics lab, but from tests her advisor has done it ends up as about 95% just from transfering it into a sealed carbouy in an air conditioned room, thats how fast highly concentrated ethanol absorbs atmospheric humidity.

I am not that great at chemistry, so I dont know if the alcohol in e85 absorbs water as well as 100% ethanol does, or if it absorbs atmospheric moisture more like 85% ethanol+15%water does.

If it is like the first one, that means you are going to get a lot of water.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The OEM sensors that GM and Dodge use are good, and obviously the auto manufacturers trust them to be accurate. I mean they offer a warranty on the vehicle. And advertise yo can use what ever alcohol content you want. So clearly they have faith in it.

Seems like the aftermarket stuff is junk tho.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
The OEM sensors that GM and Dodge use are good, and obviously the auto manufacturers trust them to be accurate. I mean they offer a warranty on the vehicle. And advertise yo can use what ever alcohol content you want. So clearly they have faith in it.

Seems like the aftermarket stuff is junk tho.
That's what I thought too.

Most aftermarket retailers are after profit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts