Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Since I can't work on my car at the moment, I'm pondering for a while now. A few days ago, I calibrated my TPS (error code 7) on D16Z5. This made the car run normally and not hesitate to near-stall when flooring it.

Also, right on the first start, error code 8, which is for the Top Dead Center sensor, went away together with error code 7. That seemed odd at first. Then the car stood for a few hours with the battery off and I started it again. Error code 7 and 8 were both gone.

Not sure if Throttle Position Sensor and Top Dead Center sensor are related, but after the car stood for two days, I went to start it up again. After start, it wanted to stall, so I kept some throttle until it warmed up a bit. And, alas, the error code 8 returned.

Also, there is a weird side effect of pressing the clutch pedal. It increases RPM when idling. Not much, about ~200 RPM. When error code 8 was gone, this no longer happened. Now they're both back.

I am wondering, how can the two sensors be related and why did it go away the first time? Or was it just a fluke and my near-stall flooring problems are actually because of the TDC sensor, not the TPS? If anyone had any similar experience of have any constructive ideas, I'd love to hear it.

P.S. I also have IAT sensor and Cylinder Position sensor error codes if that's anyway related.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
P.S. I also have IAT sensor and Cylinder Position sensor error codes if that's anyway related.
Fix the codes and it should run fine. Make sure they are all plugged in and if needed you can download the FSM and ohm out the sensors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fix the codes and it should run fine. Make sure they are all plugged in and if needed you can download the FSM and ohm out the sensors.
Yeah, that's my weekend goal. Last weekend goal was TPS sensor which went just great and the car came back to life. However, today, with the TDC sensor error back it seems that the near-stall flooring problem is back, just not so severely. Also, it's much colder today and starting up for the first time wasn't so easy. Could it be that since IAT is dead and it's colder outside, the ECU didn't compensate and that was the reason for a rough start?

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Could very well be. There should be a way to test it based on the temperature and the resistance from the 2 terminals of the sensor. It should be listed in the FSM in an allowable resistance at certain temperatures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could very well be. There should be a way to test it based on the temperature and the resistance from the 2 terminals of the sensor. It should be listed in the FSM in an allowable resistance at certain temperatures.
Yeah, I have downloaded an original FSM for this engine, so based on the testing procedures listed, IAT is not dead, just very wrong and off the scale. I use those procedures for all the error codes, just couldn't get around to solving some of them yet. I assume that the TDC sensor is also faulty, because such errors don't just magically go away after presenting themselves for so long. But I'm really curious if it was related to the TPS error since they both went away at the same time.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Tdc sensor is in the distributor, I would start by checking wiring to the distributor and see if you have a loose pin or something.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
For one it will help if you list your location. Boiling-hot sandy Egypt or freezing Soviet Russia by a salty sea? It will also help if you mention if the car was fully-stock & well-maintained or modded & engine-swapped a dozen times.

Chances are you have some crappy wires or connectors. Poorly maintained cars tend to have oil covering everything, and Honda wires' insulation gets brittle if soaked in oil for ages. If you have an adapter harness or modded engine harness then either could easily be the culprit. If the distributor or TPS are aftermarket, it could actually be the parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For one it will help if you list your location. Boiling-hot sandy Egypt or freezing Soviet Russia by a salty sea? It will also help if you mention if the car was fully-stock & well-maintained or modded & engine-swapped a dozen times.

Chances are you have some crappy wires or connectors. Poorly maintained cars tend to have oil covering everything, and Honda wires' insulation gets brittle if soaked in oil for ages. If you have an adapter harness or modded engine harness then either could easily be the culprit. If the distributor or TPS are aftermarket, it could actually be the parts.
I'm in Lithuania. Winters are -15 Celsius, summers are +30 Celsius. Currently around 0 Celsius. The car is a '88 4gen Civic with a D16Z5 swap from a D13B1. I bought it about a year ago, and most of the months it stayed in my garage dry. Last two months of year 2015 it stayed outdoors and wasn't even started. Only this year I started it up and began moving it around from time to time.

The condition of how well it works hasn't changed after the winter. However, it wasn't that good. It only got a lot better after I properly re-attached (yes, aftermarket) TPS. I don't know much about the car before I got it. I only know it was a ricer-up showcase car with lot's of unneeded plastic on it and an engine swap. The engine bay is rather clear and really not an oil coated pile of dirt. The head is even shiny.

The ECU seems to be connected normally using the 3 connectors that PM7 is supposed to have. No adapters or improper wiring. At least where can I see it. The car seems to have been looked after rather well, but the four ECU errors (7 to 10) and a good working but improperly attached TPS concerns me whether the swap was done right

1 - 8 of 8 Posts