Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thought I would see if this problem sounds familiar before I start throwing money at it. About a week ago my speedometer had started to act goofy. When I turn the ignition on, the speedo instantly goes to 22 mph. As I start to accelerate, the speedo jumps between 20 and 30, and the distance the needle shakes decreases as I accelerate. After I'm going about 5mph the needle is stationary at about 25, and it stays there until I slow down below 5 mph again, where the needle starts jumping again. No check engine light, and rarely the speedometer might start working correctly again until I shut the car off. Car is a 94 ex 5 speed. Odometer/trip is not working either now. Is this a cluster problem, or should I start swapping the speed sensor/vss? Also the speedo was always 10mph faster than my actual speed, although I have stock size tires. Any input would be fantastic, I haven't been able to find other threads with this specific problem. Thanks, wood.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to thread jack, but I have this almost exact problem. Mine just seems to jump all over most of the time. It will actually work maybe 25% of the time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same problem and mines was the speed sensor, do you know anyone you can swap clusters with to see if the problem continues?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would try a cluster swap or check the board in back for loose connections like previously stated. Nice camaro in your avatar. I miss my 79 with a 454 daily, then I remember immediately afterward spending $30 a day just in gas driving to work.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
539 Posts
My 94 does it. Sometimes it will jump and go all the way around at like 40 mph and wont come back. Found a fix, break 100 mph and it jumps back into place.

Shifted into 2nd the needle seems to accelerate like ratio is off. Most likely the VSS.

3rd gear it hits the back of the pin.

Happens a few times a year doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
@ CripTopher - yours is doing what mine did a couple weeks ago, it was corrosion on the back of the speedo backing, I cleaned it up and have had good luck. Also cleaned out the pins and checked the plugs at the back connection.

@ Wood - Sounds like you have a corroded vss as stated above and a bit of dirt or corrosion on the back speedo as well. I pulled my VSS and adjusted the pins to hold better and put electro grease shyt on them to combat corrosion and what I said above for my speedo.

·
Registered
844 Posts
@ CripTopher - yours is doing what mine did a couple weeks ago, it was corrosion on the back of the speedo backing, I cleaned it up and have had good luck. Also cleaned out the pins and checked the plugs at the back connection.

@ Wood - Sounds like you have a corroded vss as stated above and a bit of dirt or corrosion on the back speedo as well. I pulled my VSS and adjusted the pins to hold better and put electro grease shyt on them to combat corrosion and what I said above for my speedo.
but why not just make the 11 a 10

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
...these go to 11.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't have a cluster to swap with, hopefully I'll be able to find one by this weekend. I'll also have to check the vss. I'll report back when I find out what works/what doesn't. Thanks.

@racejunke13, I love the car, but the stock 180 hp isn't enough to move those tanks!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
super super common eg problem, its the speedo itself. your options are to swap clusters or swap speedos...its basically never the vss

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: swapped clusters, problem solved. Speedo is also accurate now as well. Haven't taken apart the old cluster to see of there were any bad connections, might take a soldering iron to it in my spare time and see what happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts