Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Weird revs when engine is cold

When i wake up in the mourning to go to work my car revs up to about 1500 rpms and drops down to about 500 or so and does that in about 2 second intervals and wonder what is going on? Is it a sensor? Only does this when cold.. Is this a big problem?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
only when its cold im not sure
my car does it i just pop the hood screw back in the idle screw..
i need glew or something cause it creeps out in like 2 days

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the idle screw. Is that the little thing that pops out when you accellerate by the intake manifold?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah mine is lose too. It comes out sometimes when I pop my hood and rev it up I can watch it come out and then it gets sucked back in..Is that it? And if so what does that do ?? is it bad if it's is loose?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea kinda like a screw .. its bigger then a screw and short with a flat head top....When its warm it idles fine under the 1000 rpm mark
Passed smog lately with no problems.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i don't think it's the screw because I just tightened it and it still did it. Any help would help.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tibs said:
do a search for iacv

Umm. To be honest I hae no idea what that is? I basically learned everything I know by just fixing what breaks on my ar and since I haven't fixed that I do know about it. So a little more information on what that is please.. :neutral:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you replaced the timing belt lately? mine did this and the timing was off roughly a tooth ? If not I would check the valve timing,igintion timing, and turn the idle screw all the way in then turn out roughly 1-1/2 turns out. Then start it then hold it @ 3000 RPMs untill fan comes on unplug the iacv it should drop down to 500 RPMs +/- 50 If no difference in RPMs then the iacv is likely bad. If it does change then set it to the above. shut off the engine reset the ECU plug back in and cross your fingers that it worked. after you get the idle set the way you like it dab something on the edge of the screw like rtv or touch up paint, something to persuade the screw not to turn out.

Also D15B7 gave me a tip to apply jumper wires to the iacv just for a split sec., if it clicks its working...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I believe its FIFV or IACV like the othe d-series member mentioned. There is a little white screw you turn to make it close becuase its not closing properly therefore making your car idle weird in the morning. I had the seem problem and it only got worse until I was a every red reving my car without even pressing the gas ;-)

Let search and try and find you some better info.

See yeah

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jman said:
Have you replaced the timing belt lately? mine did this and the timing was off roughly a tooth ? If not I would check the valve timing,igintion timing, and turn the idle screw all the way in then turn out roughly 1-1/2 turns out. Then start it then hold it @ 3000 RPMs untill fan comes on unplug the iacv it should drop down to 500 RPMs +/- 50 If no difference in RPMs then the iacv is likely bad. If it does change then set it to the above. shut off the engine reset the ECU plug back in and cross your fingers that it worked. after you get the idle set the way you like it dab something on the edge of the screw like rtv or touch up paint, something to persuade the screw not to turn out.

Also D15B7 gave me a tip to apply jumper wires to the iacv just for a split sec., if it clicks its working...

I will replace the timing belt first. But what is the IACV or FIFV or what does it stand for?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wasn't saying you needed to replace the belt, alot of times when guys replace the timing belt they don't get it set properly causing it to run weird.
IACV= idle air control valve
FITV= Fast idle throttle valve
The more I think about it if your valve timing is correct and its acting up only when its cold the FITV only works when the coolant is cold. After the fan comes on put your finger over the bottom hole in the throttle body if you feel a suction you have a bad valve or it is leaking.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
693 Posts
My guess would be the FITV. The white plunge is lose...

Take off your FITV ( under the throttle body with coolant hoses going through it )
- 3 bolts

At one end, remove a cap with 2 screws holding it. Then inside you will see a white plunge. Screw the plunge in...

Then put everything back and set your idle. you shd do fine. good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts