Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Honda mates

Well I'am new here, joined to get some help and answers and learn few useful things
So to the point, bought a 2005 Civic EP1 1,4(D14z6) non-vtec (can't swap to D16 or K20 I'am a fresh driver and the insurance is so big on these). I look up on forums before and learned that mini me is a popular mod, but it's mostly done on EK and EJ. The EP has more modernized engine and probably wont just bolt on (i know, more work to do that talk ).
I know that EP2's and EM2 run on D16/17 with Vtec head but it possible to install them? And which will be better off for more power increase, and more suitable for the hatch?
Thats only one problem I'am struggling with and hope I'll get help from you guys

Greetings from Poland

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
If your car has a D14 engine, you can put any SOHC D16 cylinder head on it. Now you have your answer. The cylinder head doesnt care if your car is a hatch back or a sedan, it will still breath air no matter what the chassis is.

And what does insurance have to do with what engine you decide to put in your car? Its not like the insurance company is going to come over and help you swap the engine. Swap that shit, drive that shit, and what you know you have under your hood can stay in your mind. :)

Insurance rates around here are effected by Engine output as well (Canada). Theres no way in god damn hell I will tell the insurance company my engine makes 6x more power than it originally did. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Allright one simple answer got :D now some more incoming haha

If your car has a D14 engine, you can put any SOHC D16 cylinder head on it. Now you have your answer. The cylinder head doesnt care if your car is a hatch back or a sedan, it will still breath air no matter what the chassis is.
So the Vtec head will just bolt on. Sweet.So what about the cam wheel on Mini-me you had to change the them to work, what about in my case? and the loom do i need to get one from a Vtec engine or small tweeking will make the selonoid work? The ECU if i want a Vtec i need to have one that can manage it. Don't know which one should look for, the one from the Vtec hatchback EP or the Vtec Coupe EM (it will be flashed and tuned probably later one)

And what does insurance have to do with what engine you decide to put in your car? Its not like the insurance company is going to come over and help you swap the engine. Swap that shit, drive that shit, and what you know you have under your hood can stay in your mind. :)
Well in Poland you pay insurance by displacement for me i pay like 1500PLN a year for a 1.4 for a 1.6 i would pay around 2k :p and 3k for a 2L really whats a lot of money. O and if had an accident by my fault or not and if there would be a different engine then the one in the insurance I get no money back. Power output doesn't mean in here alot. For a WRX and a Passat you pay around the same

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
There are many ways to activate VTEC once the head is on the engine. It is best in my opinion to get a factory ECU that has been chipped to activate VTEC. Any USA/Canada 92-95 Civic has an OBD1 chippable ecu. Then you need to connect this ECU to your OBD2 car. The easiest way is to pay for a Yonaka OBD2 to OBD1 jumper harness it will cost around $50. If you are able to read and solder, you can make your own. I have done it, its not hard at all. It will not pass emissions if you have that where you live. Or stand alone ECU.

If you choose to use an OEM ecu, it is best not to change your engine harness. You are best to add the extra wires for VTEC, there are only 3. 12v to the solenoid, and then 2 wires for the pressure switch. Add those to the break-out harness on your OBD2 to OBD1 jumper harness.

Lastly there is another option, which is to just use an RPM triggered window switch to provide 12v to the solenoid. The cam will switch to the high lift intake lobe. You can do this with something like an SAFC, or AFC NEO, which can actually richen or lean your air fuel mixture. This is the worst way to do it. It will work, how ever.

Do you really think if there is an accident the insurance company will check to see what engine you have? Or if you are ok? Think about it... They wont check, or even think to check, unless your car looks like a boy racer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you really think if there is an accident the insurance company will check to see what engine you have? Or if you are ok? Think about it... They wont check, or even think to check, unless your car looks like a boy racer.
They do it every time a bigger bang happens, thevies in Poland that what is Insurance. They always look for a reason not to pay out :p. Thats quiet common here.

Allright back to important stuff that matters. Thank you very much for straightening stuff out as soon as I'll save up money I'll show off how the job went THX

Can someone estimate how much bhp i would make it the following mods ??
-D16W1
-D16y8 Intake
-D16y8 Exhaust manifold or a custum 4-2-1
-2,25" Cat back DIY straight pipe
-Cold Air Intake
All on a stock D14 gen 7 civic
Making 10 more bhp will be a success for me as a N/A
Ooo and are there any cams,valves or other mods to improve the RPM range and performance of it ?

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
What are you using the car for? You will get better track times with suspension/brake parts and time behind the wheel more than anything for that car.

Also the 7th gen is harder to get tuned through the ECU except for Kpro which is $$$, you can't swap to older ECU and motors with these cars. So swapping engine parts without getting it tuned will be worth nearly nothing IMHO.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Give me a 7th gen Honda, and I can convert it to OBD1. The gauge cluster might look different, after. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts