Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1990 Crx Si. Still has a D16 engine so im still using the stock shift linkages, but the PO put in a ebay short shifter and the car shifts like crap, lots of slop, wants to grind. Anyways I did some investigating and it appears the bar has taken a few good wacks, also the "boot" right under the shifter ball is torn to hell

Is there a company that sells a complete assembly to replace the shifter, bushings and shift linkages with upgraded pieces?

Only thing Ive seen so far is the B&M race shifter, but Im having a hard time figuring out if that will even replace my broken boot section.

Any ideas guys? thanks alot!

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of those would replace the ripped boot right?

That sounds like to many stops and order to me though, Im hoping to buy a complete assembly, linkage, shifter...

The B&M shifter does anyone have it? It appear to replace the oem honda ball etc but Im not sure cant find any pics or info on it, just manufacturing pics

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
The ball is a dealer part, and it is cheap. This isn't too many stops to make your shifter feel great again. Is the boot you speak of the actual shifter boot around the shifter, if so you can get them on ebay or stitch your own out of anything you want.

Also there is a trick you can do yourself with a little work.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/transmission-alley/194762-91-civic-shift-linkage-upgrade-pics.html

EDIT: if I were to pick a short shifter it would be the B&M unit. The one you have pictured is the race spec one and it replaces the factory ball setup. The regular ones still use the factoy ball setup which does work good when it is new.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The boot that is ripped is not my shift boot, but the rubber boot under the car built into the shift ball, its been a while since I seen it to describe it better. Would the B&M unit replace that entirely?

I think I might go with that aswell as some ES poly bushing..

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Only three boots that I know of in that shifter design. First is the boot for the shift lever, its part of the console. The second is the dust boot for the shifter lever pivot ball, its a part that is ALWAYS torn during short shift install by a newblet. The last one is the bellows boot for the shift rod input to the transmission. Only the second boot is required, as it allows the grease to stay clean for shifter leverage action. Other two just cover primary items up.

edit:

54109-SA7-000 #7

I believe is the boot your asking about. its about $20 online.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you think I should just attempt to replace that ripped second boot, unassemble and regrease the oem ball

Or is the B&M unit a real upgrade and will feel good.

As of right now I have a no name short shifter that has snapped at one point, but I just used a set screw type knob right over the broken threads lol

I feel the shifts could be a little crisper though.... but I also am getting a syncrotech trans next season

Swap to B&M?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I liked the B&M one that I had, so much so that I had it in a few of my cars. I got both versions they made at one point or another, dont know if they make both the duel and single anymore. In the end, I liked the one that was 10% shorter??

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not talking about just the B&M short throw shifter, Im talking about the pictured #75074 entire shift race unit

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
most of the slop is usually in the shifter rod. when i went to Honda to bujy one they told me $75 than called me an hour later to tell me it was discontinued.. so i went with the no slop shiter mod. get a new ball seat, and bitch pin as well. the ES bushings are good for the torque rod. i went with a megan racing shifter for my crx and its pretty good $38 brand new. i just wish i would have gotten the dual bend version..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts