Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all so i wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this....mods fix it if need be... but anyways. SO i recently bought a complete y7 block. Knowing very little about a motors condition based on appearance and not knowing the guy i figured i would just trust him and buy this motor which he claimed he pulled from an old ladys car and only had 108000 km's on it. It was also out of an automatic so i figured i would be safe. So upon further inspection the harmonic balancer was missing there was just a cirle of rubber there? the turque mount was ripped. And upon removal of the head instead of finding a paper head gasket there was a metal one there. Once the head was completely off i looked down in the cylinders and there was a lot of a black wet flaky materiel i could literally scoop up with my hand. Also down in the water jacket there is a blue/green coating in certain spots on the walls. I turned the motor over and the bottom end seems tight. SO afterwards i cleaned out the cylinders as best i could and it seems that there might be some scarring at the very top....just wondering if this motor should even be considered for a rebuild....?

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
as far as i can tell that motor is completely fine. there is no Harmonic balancer on these motors and yes they come with metal headgaskets. if you can feel deep scratches in the cylinder walls then have them bored and go with oversized pistons. if not then just have it rehoned. buy a complete gasket kit and new water and oil pumps replace the timing belt. get the all the clearances checked so you know what size parts to buy(bearings, rings ect..)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok maybe i am calling it the wrong thing....is it a crank pulley then....the main pulley on the crank that drives the serpentine belt is no longer there....ahah. Also coolant in cylinder #4 ....head appears to be ok but is questionable we checked it with two levels..(using them as straight edges) and feeler guages.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
just buy a new pulley or go to the junk yard. use a helms or honda manual to determine what parts you are missing. guy probably blew the headgasket so have it checked at a shop. what are you planning on doing with this engine? full race ? simple overhaul?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually a vitara i beam build because i am boosting it so i want it to be solid becuase things get sketchier under boost as i am sure you are aware haha

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Probably not. The head might be salvageable, but if it's got the wrong gasket on it, then, it's likely the deck is warped and repaired poorly.

The crust on the pistons isn't unusual in an engine running rich and poorly maintained. The discolored water jackets show that the engine was poorly maintained. You MUST change the coolant regularly to prevent that. It sounds like the coolant wasn't changed, the water pump started to die and then the head warped.

Pull the bottom end apart and look at the water pump. Better yet, get pics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it wasnt just a crust lol picture taking a bag of chips crushing them up and putting a good size handful into each cylinder now add some oil and coolant to taste. Basically it looked like crap i have pics at home i will post them later

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I agree. a shop will be able to determine if it is salvageable. Id presonally throw a y8 head mini me if going with a vitara build. is a much better head than a y7. have the block clean thoroughly to see if its just a bad maitnence issue. again have all the clearances checked and check to see if the block needs decking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts