Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Civic Coupe Si has a D16Y7 Block/D16Y8 Head Mini-Me .. is it worth my while to boost this engine or would I be better off to swap a D16Y8 Block OR Boost it as is for now, build another Y8 Block and drop it in later, OR Convert down to OBD I and do a full D16Z6 swap..I will be building the block for boost later on this year, with goals stock block 200whp, built block 300-350whp on a t3/t4, Daily Driven. I have done research, I have searched, any help would be appreciated :).

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Nobody comment? What happened to this site :( lol
damn relax. we will get to you, just relax.

My 97 Civic Coupe Si has a D16Y7 Block/D16Y8 Head Mini-Me .. is it worth my while to boost this engine or would I be better off to swap a D16Y8 Block OR Boost it as is for now, build another Y8 Block and drop it in later, OR Convert down to OBD I and do a full D16Z6 swap..I will be building the block for boost later on this year, with goals stock block 200whp, built block 300-350whp on a t3/t4, Daily Driven. I have done research, I have searched, any help would be appreciated :).
1) if you boost the mini me, it will be touchy. since it has a little higher compression then most tuners like.

2) if you want to swap a y8 in, just make sure to shim the pump. ;)

3) swapping in a z6 would be nice. but i would check with your area on its rules for stuff like that.

anyway you look at it, all the options you listed above will make 200 whp on the stock block. and all will make 300+ on a built block, of course with the right turbo set-up.

happy?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn relax. we will get to you, just relax.
Lol :)

1) if you boost the mini me, it will be touchy. since it has a little higher compression then most tuners like.

2) if you want to swap a y8 in, just make sure to shim the pump. ;)

3) swapping in a z6 would be nice. but i would check with your area on its rules for stuff like that.

anyway you look at it, all the options you listed above will make 200 whp on the stock block. and all will make 300+ on a built block, of course with the right turbo set-up.

happy?
What do you mean by touchy? And whats the reason for shimming the pump, im assuming you mean oil pump? Gonna look that up, all my research was done for my old hatch si with a Z6.

And Im in Canada, We have no rules :D.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
edlebrock makes a good turbo kit for your car that will give you 200whp and i know many who are running it with stock internals and are satisfied. but if you want to make much more than that after you biuld it i would recomend getting a better one or making your own kit. i say keep the y7 block and biuld it or z6 depending on your budget.

·
Registered
183 Posts
it's got high compression basically. just run it rich and retard the timing a little and you'll be good...and happy might I add lol. The higher the compression the more power per lb boost you'll get....just LOTS touchier to get a good solid tune is all.

but if you run nice and rich (get a greddy blue box cheap lol) and retard the base timing a little (only if you hear pinging with the pig rich blue box) you'll be good.

as far as I'm concerned...any engine that actually runs is worth boosting until it blows up :p

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
What do you mean by touchy? And whats the reason for shimming the pump, im assuming you mean oil pump? Gonna look that up, all my research was done for my old hatch si with a Z6.

And Im in Canada, We have no rules :D.
touchy = depending on the way the mini me was built, the engine might have a little high CR for some tuners taste.

shim the oil pump. look on www.theoldone.com for more info.

well add where your at and it might help others with helping you out.

as far as I'm concerned...any engine that actually runs is worth boosting until it blows up :p
:sadface:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
it's got high compression basically. just run it rich and retard the timing a little and you'll be good...and happy might I add lol. The higher the compression the more power per lb boost you'll get....just LOTS touchier to get a good solid tune is all.

but if you run nice and rich (get a greddy blue box cheap lol) and retard the base timing a little (only if you hear pinging with the pig rich blue box) you'll be good.

Yeah this summer I think I might run the mini-me on low boost until it lets go in the mean time I think I'll build a D16Z6, and convert the car to OBD I.. and throw th Z6 in the car.. and away I go.. I see alot of guys running Y8's with boost and big numbers but I dont want to have to worry about oiling problems.. If the D doesnt come through I might have to go B18B :O

1 - 8 of 8 Posts