Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I have built my D15B VTEC few months ago. everything seems to be fine with my engine. the only thing that bothers me is that i have a bit of vibration when in N or P. it will be worse when i put in R and worse when i turn on the air con. all the engine mountings are new and i have changed EACV and Fast Idle valve and have set the TSP to 0.45. i have tried to set the idle based on Honda manual but since i dont have a tachometer it is not so precise.

i have shown the car to a workshop and they said maybe the valve clearance is not properly set so the engine is shaking more in idle and the fuel consumption is higher than normal. they told me they can check this only when the car is completely cold so i have to leave the car there so they can test it the day after.

i didn't leave the car there yet. don't really like to do it unless i know it is necessary. do you guys think that can be the source of trouble?

Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for the link. very useful. but i just wanted to know can the tight valve space result in engine vibration and high fuel consumption or not?

and it doesn't say in that post that engine must be cold. so i am not sure if the mechanic is telling the truth or just want to keep my car there.

i have no other issue with my engine so if there would be any more symptoms which i need to check let me know.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK.. i just ask it differently.. what are the symptoms of tight valve clearance? what are for loose one?

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
man... i've been asking that question for a long time... to no avail. but i think i did do it too tight once - and the idle stumbled alot as if the cam lobes had some restriction when they were rotated causing it to shake i think - (it's been a while)... as if something was too "tight." bleh. too loose? i still don't know about that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts