Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so I replacing my headgasket and I accidently spun the block, well I thought it was TDC but appeartly it was like 90* off, anywho I just decided to threw both of them back to tdc, I was just curious since I dont wanna take off the lower timing belt cover, if the engine was 180* from tdc would it matter? The block is set where tdc usually is (1/4 up) (2/3 down). Would it not start?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
just put a long screw driver in the #! hole and line up tdc that way or you can use the white mark if you still have the crank pulley on

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
heads already off. What Im saying is the lower rotating assembly might or might not be TRUE Top dead center, Im just curious if it really matters if Im the compression stroke or just the regular stroke. Dont worry bout the head lol. Im just curious if the blocks 180* off does it matter?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I think I know what your talking about it. it doesn't matter. TDC is TDC, I can't think anything that would effect it, other then the valves being closed. once you put the head it'll time regardless.

There's a mark on the block, that lines up with the sprocket if your worried about it. I highly doubt if you where to assemble the block with the mark 180 degree off if it wouldn't time right.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Just line up the marks on the harmonic balancer (the SINGLE white mark with the timing cover) and then line up the cam gear with the arrows. throw the belt on, rotate the engine once, if its all looking good then tighten the tensioner and start it.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I think I know what your talking about it. it doesn't matter. TDC is TDC, I can't think anything that would effect it, other then the valves being closed. once you put the head it'll time regardless.

There's a mark on the block, that lines up with the sprocket if your worried about it. I highly doubt if you where to assemble the block with the mark 180 degree off if it wouldn't time right.
ya as long as the #1 and #4 are at tdc....your good...it only when the head is on thats when you need to make sure the cam timing is correct..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts