Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i recently replaced my timing belt. crank and camshaft is at tdc but when i try to set the ignition timing it wont go past zero degrees. I would have to advance the distributor past the mounting bolts to get to 16degrees. Ive used 2 z6 timing belts and its the same thing. Has this happened to anybody else?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Yes, when you cam is off a tooth or two. This usually happens during the tightening phase of the timing belt replacement. Re-time the engine (physically) and then cjeck your timing.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, how did you line up the cam gear?

7 o'clock?
yes

Thanks for the quick replys.I found the problem, the keyway inside the camgear broke, so it was never at tdc. I found that it was unusually hard to turn the camgear with a rachet. Actually couldnt even move the camgear at all unless i put the timing belt on and turn it by the crankshaft. I remember having this problem before so i pulled the rockers off and it was what i expected. the middle cam journal has oil starvation. I had this problem with my comp cam 59300 with a y8 head. now this is completly diffrent head with a stock cam and its having the same problem? what can cause that?? I dont think the dohc guys go through this shit!!

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
This is in a Y8 block? Welcome to the world of sucky oil flow. :p

Seriously, check all the oil orifices for blockages. It sounds like you might have a blockage between the block and the head. The first place (that is a pain) to check is the oil control orrifice in the head, between the head an the block.

part of the issue is that your oil pump is one of the lowest flowing oil pumps Honda ever put into a SOHC. Oiling problems are much more common to Y-series blocks because of this. On top of this, other issues are very common rod knock due to spun rod bearings, head oiling issues, and total block seizures. So, once you figure out what is block your oil flow to/in the head, you might want to take a look at improving your oiling situation.

Also, just out of curiosity, what oil filter are you using on the engine?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is in a Y8 block? Welcome to the world of sucky oil flow. :p

Seriously, check all the oil orifices for blockages. It sounds like you might have a blockage between the block and the head. The first place (that is a pain) to check is the oil control orrifice in the head, between the head an the block.

part of the issue is that your oil pump is one of the lowest flowing oil pumps Honda ever put into a SOHC. Oiling problems are much more common to Y-series blocks because of this. On top of this, other issues are very common rod knock due to spun rod bearings, head oiling issues, and total block seizures. So, once you figure out what is block your oil flow to/in the head, you might want to take a look at improving your oiling situation.

Also, just out of curiosity, what oil filter are you using on the engine?
I'm running a z6 swap. before I had head oiling issues i was using the y8 head. I since replaced it with a z6 head so now its a full z6 swap. I did inspect the oil orfice on the block and didnt find any blockages. Since i couldnt find any blockages, i assumed it was the cam. but now i'm certain something else ruined the cam. My oil pressure right now is within stock minimum specs ( i watch my oil psi gauge like a hawk!) Is there a way to run a oil psi gauge to the head? I'm using a mobil 1 oil filter part # m-110

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Hrmph. If I'm not mistaken, there should be a couple of small set screws at various places in the head (I am not familiar with the Z6 head, and have been staring at a DOHC D head for way too long) that can be taken out and tapped for running a fitting for a line to an oil pressure sender.

Z6s don't usually have too many oiling issues. I am kinda stumped.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
the only thing i can see in common with both heads having the same issue is the installer.. have you been using the service manual?

not to be a cack sucka but installer error happens a LOT. even professionals make mistakes. (they are just way harder to get an admission out of... heheh)

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
What were your valve lash settings? Maybe too tight?

Yes, there are several places to tap into to get oil readings from the head. Remove factory plugs and good luck! Never seen that done B4.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
the only thing i can see in common with both heads having the same issue is the installer.. have you been using the service manual?

not to be a cack sucka but installer error happens a LOT. even professionals make mistakes. (they are just way harder to get an admission out of... heheh)
yes i followed service manual procedures.
the damage looks similar to this but not as bad..

pic taken from another member here on this site.

I used a 1500 grit sandpaper and sanded every cam journal until i was able to slide my finger nail across the journals . Used another z6 cam had laying around and another rocker arm assembly. After following installation procedures I was now able to turn the cam gear with a rachet with ease. oil pressure looks good. I'm hoping that this wont happen again but I'll port my z6 oil pump and hope for the best. I'll update next month.
hopefully this will help someone with the same problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts