Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. Here is the situation.. I have a D16z6 that had a melt down. I replaced the pistons with vitara 7.5:1 CR. 450cc DSM injectors. Stock rods, crank and head assembly.

After the melt down.. My compression was

50, 180, 200, 50 (4,3,2,1)

After I replaced the pistons and rings. I developed a ticking/knocking sound. right away I thought it was the valve lash. So that was the first thing I did. I relashed all the valves

.005 - .007 (Intake Side)
.007 - .009 (Exhaust Side)

After I did that the noise got better. But that tick/knock was still there. Now I thought piston slap. So I drove the car for a few days thinking it would get better. But it didn't. After the car warms up the sound does fade, but not very much at all...

So now I'm thinking rod bearings. So I replaced them with new ones. And it's still doing it. So I'm lost now. Only thing I can think of is maybe a valve in the head. At idle you the tick/knock isn't consistent. But on the throttle it is. The sounds goes away on deceleration but comes back during acceleration. What could this be?? Any help please would be appreciated..

I have a video of the car making the sound..
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/D16-start-up-450cc-Vitara_175253.htm

Thanks..

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
shit that sounds exactly like my old z6 with a spun rod bearing...you said you replaced them, did you measure tolerances or just throw back in std size bearings? Did the old bearings look like they had irregular wear? post pics of them

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Did you have the 450s before? Could be them firing. I have a friend with Vitara's and his makes the same noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shit that sounds exactly like my old z6 with a spun rod bearing...you said you replaced them, did you measure tolerances or just throw back in std size bearings? Did the old bearings look like they had irregular wear? post pics of them
I don't have the pics of the old bearings. I just tossed them out. But they didn't look spun. Even and smooth threw out the bearings. All of them looked the same. No gouges or anything like that in them at all. They looked very well. But I replaced them anyways.

I didn't measure tolerances. (This was my first rebuild) but found out afterwords that I might need some over sized rod bearings. So tearing back into it and check those things out is my next step. Along with checking main bearings. I want to get my oil pressure checked because I don't have an oil pressure gauge in the car. So if that is low, my mains are bad. I have some more trouble shooting to do.

From my findings on the net. Rod bearings get worse as you rev the engine and are much more of a solid knock.. But I guess that could still be the problem here.

Thanks for all the info. I will definitely look into the tolerances next time I get to work on it. For now.. She's parked!

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
With the engine at idle, pull each plug wire one at a time and see if the noise stops on any one cylinder.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
With the engine at idle, pull each plug wire one at a time and see if the noise stops on any one cylinder.
^^^good advice, man, why didn't I think of that...lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did that.. The noise actually gets worse when I pull the plugs one at a time... And then I put the plug wires back in and I even used a wooden dowel and listened to the valve cover over every valve and cylinder. And on the oil pan at each connecting rod. And nothing..

Could this be main bearings? I heard that main bearings will act like this. Tick/knock at idle and low RPM but go away in the higher RPM Range... Is this a possibility?

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
I don't know for sure, but from the sound on your video, it def sounded like a knocking, not a ticking. When you would get on it a bit, it almost sounded like the knock would go away with a higher rpm, but almost too like it just sped up so fast it made it hard to discern

·
Registered
01 civic lx
310 Posts
its V-tec ( Valves Ticking Engine Cracking) prolly spun a rod bearing or check your crank end play and see if the thrust bearings are toast

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
....music fades in and out.....
contestant: "I'll take V for VTEC, Alex"
Alex Trebec:"sometimes mistakenly spelled vtech, or v-tec, what is the correct spelling?"
contestant: "What is vtec"
Alex Trebec: "That is correct, you win a quick slap to the nuts"

·
Registered
721 Posts
....music fades in and out.....
contestant: "I'll take V for VTEC, Alex"
Alex Trebec:"sometimes mistakenly spelled vtech, or v-tec, what is the correct spelling?"
contestant: "What is vtec"
Alex Trebec: "That is correct, you win a quick slap to the nuts"
BAHAHAHA!!!:bravo:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its V-tec ( Valves Ticking Engine Cracking) prolly spun a rod bearing or check your crank end play and see if the thrust bearings are toast
It's got brand new rod bearings in it.. STD sized tho. I need to go threw and double check the clearances tho..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok.. Soo.. I'm still lost now.. I now have no clue what the tick/knock is anymore... The tick/knock gets louder under a heavy load, but fades in the higher RPM range. Is this normal for the Vitara pistons??

·
Registered
01 civic lx
310 Posts
I dunno the video sounds like you have a double knock ( rods). One of the bearings just could of spun. Or maybe its not even internal but i doubt it

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
I've heard of slap issues with vitara's, especially if when the shop bored your block, they didn't have the actual pistons there to measure....I've also heard that vitara's tend to expand differently than oem honda pistons, so shops tend to go a bit on the loose side, so when they are cold, they slap the shit out of the walls, but once they warm up, it goes away. Your only really gonna know what this is by tearing it down to see, unfortunately. We could sit here and guess all day, but it's not gonna get it done, know what I mean? Good luck, and post up when you find out with pics:TU:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've heard of slap issues with vitara's, especially if when the shop bored your block, they didn't have the actual pistons there to measure....I've also heard that vitara's tend to expand differently than oem honda pistons, so shops tend to go a bit on the loose side, so when they are cold, they slap the shit out of the walls, but once they warm up, it goes away. Your only really gonna know what this is by tearing it down to see, unfortunately. We could sit here and guess all day, but it's not gonna get it done, know what I mean? Good luck, and post up when you find out with pics:TU:
I hear ya buddy.. heh. Not sure I'm even gunna have the car very much longer. I have a trade in the works for a Del Sol with a B-Series.. I know. I like the D-Series my self also. I might still build a D-Series over the winter and put it in later. Sell off the B-Series to build a big D-Series. We'll have to wait and see tho.. :)

but as soon as I know whats happening with it.. I'll be sure to let ya know..

Thanks for the help thus far..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts