Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Osaka is a good engine importer?
and yes i know that Single cams are great but its time for an upgrade,
to an h22 nitrous motor.
Does anyone Know all the exact parts to do this?
Like which axles would work best on a 98 coupe?
any minor details that a lot of local shops here like to leave out...

Thanks

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
dude, look at the title of this website... what makes you think we know the details of an h-motor swap?

Oh, I've never heard of Osaka. I got my d15b from JPR Motorsport in La Habra, CA and they're great people, but I'm not quite sure if they will ship stuff to you.

·
0 Posts
I would not reccomend a H22 swap, your car will handle like ass. everyone I know that has swapped loved it until the novelty wore off and then hated it. If you want to swap I would swap a b18 bttm and a b16 head and boost the hell out of it. Just my opinion but if you enjoy turning your car I would not go H22

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
4drSOHC said:
I would not reccomend a H22 swap, your car will handle like ass.
Why would it handle like ass??? The so called weight difference??

There was a thread on h-t comparing weights of a d/b/h tranny/long block....the results were not what you would expect. While the "D" was still lighter, there was not an astounding difference.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I think doing a swap like that (yourself) is impressive, but after seeing that one from Team Saiko with its axles pointing at severe angles to the ground, I'd be too scared to depend on it as a daily driver. Maybe it doesn't have a full range of steering like normal civics due to the positioning of the axles...?

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would only be a weekend car, and from what ive researched older integra axels are what to use so that the wheels dont point at the engine.
So I take it osaka engines are or are not a reputable dealer?
And this is an at home project, I used to work at a shop a long time ago, but since the military takes up all the time I normally would have, I do things at home.
Im puting the y8 that is in there currently into a stripped out 91 si. to have some fun with.
So why is an H swap such a bad idea? What exactley is so "bad"
Its better than the previous idea i had...

13b TT rotory into a 94 hatch...
I had a lot of time on my hands to come up with that idea..

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
the h22 is heavy compared to a sohc and has a not so great r/s ratio of 1.57, where the b16 sit at almost perfect with 1.73, where the optimal is 1.75. the GRS also has a r/s ratio of around 1.58. h22s are not all they're cracked up to be. a friend of mine has a 92 hatch with a h22 swap, t3/t4 turbo, puts down over 300hp at the wheels and runs a low-mid 13 sec 1/4 mile, you can do that time in a d. but for the money he has into it (almost 10 grand) i could build a ls/vtec turbo that would walk on him.

·
Registered
a city truck
832 Posts
thesqad127 said:
h22 swap in civics get a big :TD: from me
i agree, h22 swaps are WAAAAYYYY TOO over rated. i know a guy hear that has done it to his 97 hatch, and it's quick, but he still gets spanked by nobody's

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well going on advise from you all, Ive gone with an ls motor with GSR head and tranny.
Im welding together a turbo mani for my t03/04 that a friend of mine gave me
and its time to get working..
And while that is out putting the y8 into an old si...Cant let a motor go to waste..
Yipeee...lots of fun in the sun down in go ol San Antonio...

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good news for the d though..
Bought my wife an hx and putting my y8 in that with nitrous..
Its a pain in the ass getting things to fit though..
and all the time and effort..
Ill just ride my pocket bike to work..
J/K

·
0 Posts
H22 is mad props............did an h23 swap in an integ before.......handling isn't as crazy as everyone thinks it is......but spinnin' the tires through the first four gears is crazy fun and top end is insane.........until anyone experiences that shit, of course they're gonna talk crazy shit............

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
420GREEN said:
H22 is mad props............did an h23 swap in an integ before.......handling isn't as crazy as everyone thinks it is......but spinnin' the tires through the first four gears is crazy fun and top end is insane.........until anyone experiences that shit, of course they're gonna talk crazy shit............
Are we swapping an engine for smoke show ?
Why not fit a 455 from eldorado Cadillac in a civic ?

I agree it's cool to drive, but daily driver is ordinary. I ever try '93 civic with h22 swapped in, handling is no so well you said, it's like vr6 into a2 VW or rabbit. Powerfull inline, incurve it goes like soft bullshit,, and weight balance is bad for hard braking, rear wants to go in front ;)

For trouble, motor mounts, shift rods, cut front part of the frame to put power steering, relocalise rad, reinstall new wiring harness and all the shit that come with to get how (I know it's not all of these in a teg but...), 170hp at the cranck ? I think I can reach it for less $, less trouble, more handling incurve and more reliabity with my small D who is light, bright, cheap, easy to work in.

D

·
0 Posts
i say do it, use 90-93 integra axels and 90-93 accord intermediate shafts. you would also need hasport engine mounts. Also available for the axles are the Hasport High Horsepower axles, which work with a 92-96 prelude intermediate shaft.

look at hmotorsonline.com for your engines, many guys from hondaswap.com have bought from there and have been more then satisfied.

the reason why the handling is slightly impaired is not really because of the weight, its cuz of the engine placement towards the front of the car.

i have considered and would do that swap myself, just dont have the money and patience. high 13's with a stock engine swap, cant go wrong with that!

also rotary, are you stationed at lackland? i hate that place...

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
delsolja said:
i say do it, use 90-93 integra axels and 90-93 accord intermediate shafts. you would also need hasport engine mounts. Also available for the axles are the Hasport High Horsepower axles, which work with a 92-96 prelude intermediate shaft.. look at hmotorsonline.com for your engines, many guys from hondaswap.com have bought from there and have been more then satisfied...
for as much money someone would spend on that ... a D can be made to run 13's EASY ... all the shit you said up there is NOT cheap , new axles, ecu, complete motor, harness, engine mounts ....... that shit isnt worth it to me

but everyone is different and yalls money isnt mine .....

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
My DX HB

$500 for used Z6 motor and tranny
$350 for used ZEX kit
$75 for used baby slicks

Went 13.5's with that simple combo and still get 44 mpg on the highway.

The money I save in gas more han enough pays for the bottle fills.

About the best combo for the money is a LS/VTEC + 10 psi of boost.

Choose you poison carefully.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts