Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Iv finished putting my freshly bored and honed bottom end together but Im not going to have the money to finish the engine for a few months. I dont want the fresh hone to start to rust so what should I do to stop it from rusting? I know to use a trash bag over the engine but is that all that I need to do? I dont want to have my engine seized up from cylinder rust.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
WD-40... It'll burn off during start-up, when you get around to it. And the trash bag (I use Discount Tire bags) will be fine!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should i just spray it in the cylinders or should I spray it on the crank and rods also?

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
wrap a paper towel on the end of a paint stick and soak it in wd40 and wipe the cylinders really good with it. Im not sure about the crank....i think there are spots on the crank like where the bearings go that it wouldnt hurt to put it on, but i dont know for sure.....someone will chime in on that. You probably already have the bearings installed and everything, so i cant answer that.

but just check in on it from time to time and make sure no rust is appearing. if it is scotch brite it off lightly and reapply some more wd40

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks

yea the bearings are installed but im sure the engine assembly lube will protect them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i use wd40 on my cylinder walls as well.
and sure, spray the rods and crank too, although if they've already been installed, they are probably fine and its mainly the cylinder walls you need to worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts