Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off....I drive a 95 civic lx witha a d15b7.

Okay, so I go to leave work the other day and my engine starts to sputter a lil bit when the engine turned over. I didn't pay much attention to it until it got worse a few days ago. Now when the engine turns over it sounds like its got some crazy cam you would put in a muscle car or something. After a moment the engine starts to run strong like always. Anyone know what's going on?

The have been a few repairs on it in the past year two of which I did myself. 1. Replaced head gasket (me) 2. Timed engine (the shop) 3. Replaced radiator. 4. Replaced spark plugs. If you can help, thanks.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm noticing that the car barely sputters untill my gas tank gets to a lil less than 1/4 tank. This leads me to believe its a fuel issue but I'm a moron with very limited engine experience. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have another diagnosis. For the pasr day or 2 when I start m car I turn the key but don't fire the ignition. I'll pump the gas pedal a few times and it starts up like normal. I'm not quite sure what this action is doing to get the engine to act like normal.

I've been a good boy and used the search button a few times this week and I'm thinking its a timing problem.....or fuel....or my ignition......or my o2 sensor. Lol

All the parts on the car are original except the parts listed in the 1st post and I have ihe. When the head was removed it was millled to .15 so I'm gonna pick up a new o2 sensor cause I know I can replace that easily. I'm assuming a timing light will let me know if my timing is off. And if it is fuel I guess a new fuel pump, injectors and a filter would be a good idea.....all of which ironically help me with my build.

In regards to fuel upgrades. I want to do a walbro pump. 255lph enough? As far as injectors, I don't know how big I need them to be. I can't seem to find any that are right for my engine. All the injectors that I've searched for injectors online seem like they for turbo apps. (Suggestions needed) would a fuel preasure regulator help? (In the case that it is a fuel problem)

I'm gonna go price some parts. If anyone has an inkling of what's going on with my car I would love some input. The SEARCH button fucked me over. I got the tip in but the rest of my dick is still dry. :(

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dare I do it..................bump!!!

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so nobody has any suggestions? Do I need to give more info?

Well there is an update. Now the car is about impossible to start unless.........I have the ac in the on position.

Lol I wish www.spoonfeedthenoob.net was real.

·
Registered
721 Posts
lmfao...sounds like a coincidence that the ac needs to be on when starting the car...pumping the pedal does nothing, when you leave the key to the on position for a couple seconds before you roll the car over it gives the fuel pump time to build up fuel pressure. It seems to me that either you have a fuel pump issue, or maybe a ground issue...its kinda hard to pinpoint considering the problem is not consistent. I mean, if its a spark issue, and the car runs after its started, and the timing is set right, than its gotta be a ground/wiring issue. If its fuel, than you'll soon find out because usually a pump works, or it doesn't. So if its on its way out, you will soon know.

Also, if you put the timing belt on yourself its possible you are out by a tooth or 2...are there any other symptoms after its starts running normal? as in a hesitation when you rug it?

·
Registered
655 Posts
My car was sputtering.. it was due to cracked injectors. .
got new ones and all was fine. .

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lmfao...sounds like a coincidence that the ac needs to be on when starting the car...pumping the pedal does nothing, when you leave the key to the on position for a couple seconds before you roll the car over it gives the fuel pump time to build up fuel pressure. It seems to me that either you have a fuel pump issue, or maybe a ground issue...its kinda hard to pinpoint considering the problem is not consistent. I mean, if its a spark issue, and the car runs after its started, and the timing is set right, than its gotta be a ground/wiring issue. If its fuel, than you'll soon find out because usually a pump works, or it doesn't. So if its on its way out, you will soon know.

Also, if you put the timing belt on yourself its possible you are out by a tooth or 2...are there any other symptoms after its starts running normal? as in a hesitation when you rug it?

It actually runs smooth as butter once its started. Idels fine and everything. The only other thing I noticed isi put about a quarter gallon of antifreeze every 3 to 4 months. Oher than that she runs like a champ. I guess a fuel pump is next on the list. The timing belt was done at a shop. I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. I did situatinal trial and error over the past week or so. Starting the car is a consistent process. I have to keep cranking the engine and give it just a lil bit of gas and it starts up. Its practically normal when the tank is full but starts to get worse at a half tank then I have to give it gas at about a 1/4 tank. I think you guys are right about fuel pump.

Since everything is og on the car except ihe spark plugs head gasket......replacing the fuel pump will make me happy as well as fix the prob (hopefully) I want to get the walbro 255 but xenocron has an equivelent for much cheaper. My dad always says, you get what you pay for. So I'm hesitant to get the xenocron pump. I want the walbro (mostly for the name and reliability) but if someone has some input....go ahead. Search button was used and flame suit is on. I want more opinions. And I was thinking about getting the 390 dsm injectors with a fpr. Too much flow for my setup.

Setup:
1.ebay short ram intake....cold air extension is packed away somewhere.

2. Ebay tubular header. Will replace so I can utilize the o2 bung so my sensor gets a proper reading. I can't get the bolt out to save my life AND I used PB blaster. No workie.

3. Egay exhaust (not installed) want a new one with mad tyte jdm angle. Just stock exhaust without muffler for now.

4 new oem headgasket. Head milled .15

5. Ngk iridium spark plugs. Can't remember the model number but they were the mest ones auto zone had.

Future: chiped p06 from xenocron. Don't know how to use crome yet but I have it. It might be a while before I use the ecu cause I don't know what I'm doing. (Ha!! I admitted it.) 3 angle valve job and possibly p&p...can I get my head milled again so its at .40? Or start from scratch with a new head?

Back to the question.....I'm sure I'll need a resistor box the injectors, right? I'll have to read again. But that's all I'm wanting out of my car. Its really just a dd. I just want it to be enjoyable to drive. Wow. I rambled on for a while, huh? Help is welcome.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
afternoon bump..........any opinions?

P.S. when i brake hard then try to accelerate........it sputters. So common sense tells me its the pump...if I have any common sense.

·
d-series resident crybaby
88 Rex
1,002 Posts
afternoon bump..........any opinions?

P.S. when i brake hard then try to accelerate........it sputters. So common sense tells me its the pump...if I have any common sense.
put a new oem pump in then go from there, wtf was all the mods list for? is that what you have or what your saying you'll buy?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
put a new oem pump in then go from there, wtf was all the mods list for? is that what you have or what your saying you'll buy?
I listed current mods and future mods. Didn't know if an oem pump would be beneficial for the future mods.

·
Registered
311 Posts
stock pump is fine dont worry about it

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
how old is the fuel filter? also, if you go larger injectors. youll need to tune your ecu to make up for the increased flow.. if you change to bigger. your car still "thinks" its stock injectors. and you can flood the engine.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how old is the fuel filter? also, if you go larger injectors. youll need to tune your ecu to make up for the increased flow.. if you change to bigger. your car still "thinks" its stock injectors. and you can flood the engine.
Well, the filter is og. And new injectors, a pump, possibly fpr and a tune are for some strange reason within my "brokedick baller" budget. I cant resist a $90 pump, $150 set of injectors, $60 fpr, chipped ecu and a tune. I dream everyday about this. The only other thing I could see myself doing is lowering her a lil more with various suspension braces as well and then a 5 spd with clutch, flywheel ect next year. OR ITBS!!!!!!! j/k

God, why does fixing my cars always turn into modding htem?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
because we drive hondassss... and we need mad tyte vtec

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay. I know my fuel pump is going bad but I have one more question before I instal the new one. (The leasing office found it) see stolen package thread later. I'll update it when I'm done here.

Anyways. I started my car this morning and it started rough as usual. But it souned different. Before my pump started to go it sounded like a honda would with exhaust. You know, low hum. Now its kinda like a whine noise. Like and old corrola or something. It sounds like this at idle all the way up until like 4k or so. It also sounds like its coming from ubderneath the car where the header meets the cat. I took a look under there and everything looks the same way it did when I installed the header and cat last year. Could my bad pump be leaning my engine out and causeing this noise?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts