Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped in a d16z6 that was blueprinted and balanced. But now the engine smokes a lot. like it burned through a quart of oil in 8 minutes at idle. Its leaking bad enough that it leaks out of the turbo mani to turbo connection(bad gasket).

An ideas what it could be. and this was also with rotella t 15w40 to break it in.

My thoughts are turbo or valve seals.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feed line is a -4an with a restrictor plate from atp turbo. Drain line comes off striaght down into a 45 elbow into the pan.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
danz might be on the right track here...do a leak down test, see where the leak is in the engine...also the head gasket might be junk as well.

·
Premium Member
89 CRX Si
1,041 Posts
If it were a ring issue (piston/cylinder wall clearance issue...too much gap) you would think it would get better (smoke less) as the motor warmed up (the pistons expanded to fill the cylinders).

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
did you replace them with OEM seals? if not they WILL leak again because aftermarket seals dont seal correctly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes they were OEM from honda. Did a new turbo as well and now it still smokes. Im about to give up and have it fixed somewhere or just sell the car.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
damn. does it still lose oil. i dont want to make you sound stupid but you put new oil in first time right. the oil filter and lines will suck up a half a quart. and everything takes some time to seal properly.

i ask this because their was a kid i new who owned a turbo integra. and he thought he knew alot about cars and would constantly tell me his car burned oil. one time out of curiosity i asked him a ridiculous question ina joking manner. you check the oil while the car is off right. and he said "yeah most of the time". only to figure out he had been checking the oil when he car was started and noticed no oil and then call me lol

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
pull the spark plugs and look into the cylinders to see if there wet.
Also do as compression and leak down test.

I would also take the turbo off and watch the exhuast ports as the car idles to see if oil is coming out of the exhuast valves. Because since its turbo it could just be oil leaking into the intercooler piping. Also how is your pcv?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will do all that today. The turbo i had off and it didnt have anything in the exhaust ports they looked nice and carbon black. The intercooler piping looked clean as well.

As for my PCV I have a Go-Autoworks S-Can catch Can setup. With two -10an feed to the catch can and one -12 Drain back to the block.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
I will do all that today. The turbo i had off and it didnt have anything in the exhaust ports they looked nice and carbon black. The intercooler piping looked clean as well.

As for my PCV I have a Go-Autoworks S-Can catch Can setup. With two -10an feed to the catch can and one -12 Drain back to the block.
Does the smoke come out of the catch can?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The first few start ups i had catch can smoke but it dont see it now. It was very faint when it did.

I ordered all new oil feed and drain setups for the Turbo as well. I am currently running a non restricted -4an line with a 5/8" drain but i think the drain is my issue. It isnt an fittings its just npt fittings and i dont think they have a big enough ID to allow the oil to flow.

Ii am thinking the reason i never had this problem was because i had a failing oil pump and now i have a brand new high volume toga unit so its getting plenty of oil to it.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
The first few start ups i had catch can smoke but it dont see it now. It was very faint when it did.

I ordered all new oil feed and drain setups for the Turbo as well. I am currently running a non restricted -4an line with a 5/8" drain but i think the drain is my issue. It isnt an fittings its just npt fittings and i dont think they have a big enough ID to allow the oil to flow.

Ii am thinking the reason i never had this problem was because i had a failing oil pump and now i have a brand new high volume toga unit so its getting plenty of oil to it.
My need that restrictor or switch to smaller an feed line. Was the downpipe wet inside? :p I know some1 is going to make fun of that.

Other then that I would say if u got headers n can cap ur feed n return line. I would do that and see if it smokes like that. It will rule out the motor being the problem. Then u know its the turbo or oiling to the turbo.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did a 3 an feed and it still smokes but not nearly as much as it was. Redoing the drain now

1 - 20 of 29 Posts