Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rebuilding a d16z6. I ordered PM6 pistons and they sent me PM3 pistons which wont work.

I decided to use the original P28 pistons that came with the engine with new rings. The cylinders were honed. Only problem is that the guy didn't mark which cylinder they came out of.

How important is it that they go in the same cylinder they came out of? What could potentially go wrong and is there anyway to figure out which piston came from which cylinder?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,939 Posts
As far as I know the factory doesn't bore each cylinder to a specific piston. The OEM pistons and bores should all be within a certain tolerance which will allow the correct P2W clearances.

Unless there are some unusual wear marks on the pistons , I wouldn't worry about it.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
if its been bored and honed and youre going with new bearings and rings, it doesn't matter. the real question is, with it being bored and honed, will the oem sized pistons fit without slap

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
403 Posts
As far as I know the factory doesn't bore each cylinder to a specific piston. The OEM pistons and bores should all be within a certain tolerance which will allow the correct P2W clearances.

Unless there are some unusual wear marks on the pistons , I wouldn't worry about it.
Agreed.

I don't know of a volume engine manufacturer that would match pistons and bores to this degree. I believe that there's an element of selection in building some Type R engines (eg: the H22A7), but design tolerances work well enough for most 'ordinary' cars.

If the pistons and bores are within spec for diameter and, as Paterico says, there aren't unusual marks in the bore, you should be OK. It's worth checking the diameters in a few places around the periphery and lengths to make sure roundness and cylindricity are also OK.

The rings will help, too.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts