Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone, how is it going? First post over on this site, liking the layout.

Anyway, I just started digging into my a6, motor came in my 90 EX, and the PO said that it was "making a noise" but still ran. I have had the car for about 4 months now and just barely got around to pulling the motor apart to investigate. Upon opening it up, I found that it had a spun main bearing.

Damage was not too bad at all, but the crankshaft is toast due to the fact the crank pulley key way has been eaten away.

Now this is my 1st complete rebuild, and I have been doing my research. One thing I have not found out is if I can use a y7 crank in my a6 block. The y7 crank I have also had a spun bearing, but was worse to where it shot out, broke the rod, and put a hole in that block.

I'm going to have my block cleaned up and what not at my local shop I take to have all my machine work done. I'm not looking to go all out with this motor, just rebuild it fresh, take my time, and use it as a learning experience for later on.

Also, I read this thread and was not to clear on how exactly to take my measurements with a mismatched block and crank. Someone mind explaining it to me a lil better?

Thanks for any help you all can provide me, if you guys would like some pics, just let me know, I'll be happy to post em up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that crank spun a bearing and threw a rod it's likely to be no longer useable. Best bet is to get an A6 crank that's good and not worry about the mismatch.
Yea that is what I was afraid of. So if that's the case, can I still use the letter trick, or it is necessary to measure to get the correct bearings?

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
Hey there everyone, how is it going? First post over on this site, liking the layout.

Anyway, I just started digging into my a6, motor came in my 90 EX, and the PO said that it was "making a noise" but still ran. I have had the car for about 4 months now and just barely got around to pulling the motor apart to investigate. Upon opening it up, I found that it had a spun main bearing.

Damage was not too bad at all, but the crankshaft is toast due to the fact the crank pulley key way has been eaten away.

Now this is my 1st complete rebuild, and I have been doing my research. One thing I have not found out is if I can use a y7 crank in my a6 block. The y7 crank I have also had a spun bearing, but was worse to where it shot out, broke the rod, and put a hole in that block.

I'm going to have my block cleaned up and what not at my local shop I take to have all my machine work done. I'm not looking to go all out with this motor, just rebuild it fresh, take my time, and use it as a learning experience for later on.

Also, I read this thread and was not to clear on how exactly to take my measurements with a mismatched block and crank. Someone mind explaining it to me a lil better?

Thanks for any help you all can provide me, if you guys would like some pics, just let me know, I'll be happy to post em up.

I offer no help until you fix that image in your sig.

You have an ED4, not an "EF-3".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts