Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my setup is a 91 civic sedan that has a z6 in it, with a p28 running the original Neptune rtp. This setup has been in the car and running for a while now. About a month ago My distributor failed and I bought a brand new one from NAPA. Not a re-man but a new one. Anyways:

I don't beat on the car in the higher rpms too much, but yesterday I was having some fun and I was at WOT and it seemed like my car hit the rev limiter around 6500, which is about 1000 rpms too early, the cel flashed and I shifted and it just kept right on running fine. I was pretty far from home so I didn't try it again. Time went on and I forgot about it.

Well this morning I left my house and got about 10 minutes out and I was getting on the interstate and I went full throttle in 3rd gear and as soon as the pedal went to the floor the engine cuts off completely. I pulled over, turned the key and the car started right up... weird. So I went to get back on the highway, easing into the throttle this time, same thing happened at around 2500 rpms. The engine bucked and it just shut off. Now I'm cussing.

Long story short I limped it back home, not able to go over 2500 rpms. The whole time I have no CEL on and I'm wondering what could possibly be going on. I get home and start checking all my connections under the hood, I do find a loose wire at the vtec spool valve, it actually broke at the connector when I pulled on it. I left that wire loose and started the car, it now has the appropriate CEL on. But just to see what happened, I revved the engine up over 3k and it did not die. Before even if I revved it to 3k while sitting still it would die. So then I drove it down the road, it feels perfectly normal all the way up to 5k rpms, full throttle or part throttle. I didn't try to go any higher bc above 5k is vtec territory.

What concerns me is, the engine should still be able to go all the way through the revs even with vtec disengaged, right? Is it just coincidence that I found that bad wire, disconnected it and now it doesn't stall while driving?

This is my first vtec engine so it's still new to me. Has anyone ever had trouble with their engine cutting off while driving because of a vtec circuit malfunction???

Has anyone ever had this problem where their engine just randomly cuts off at full throttle?

Just this year I completely re-wired this whole engine bay. Everything, except the vtec spool wire, is in great condition. I also checked the TPS voltage and it behaves like normal.

This car drives me crazy! :rant:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
if the vtec is disconnected it wont rev all the way up, the ecu goes into limp mode. that wire could have been making intermittant contact and throwing the ecu for a loop

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But without giving me a CEL? I could understand it going into limp mode and not revving all the way up. But completely shutting the engine off at 2500 rpms?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
if the vtec is disconnected it wont rev all the way up, the ecu goes into limp mode. that wire could have been making intermittant contact and throwing the ecu for a loop
More wrong info today...thanks again for mucking it all up.

:taz:

D15B7 on stock P28 and no limp mode.

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I drove the car around a couple miles long loop and went through the gears at all levels of throttle. Went above 5k a couple times. All with no issues. The VTS was still unplugged the whole time. I'm going to repair the wire in a little bit and go for a drive and see how it acts.

It still makes no sense that the engine completely shut off several times, nowhere near the vtec threshold and it never gave me a CEL. I'm not completely convinced that the VTS wire being loose would cause that symptom.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this moment the car seems to be perfectly normal again. I fixed the wire and drove it around for about 45 minutes and took it to the shift light in every gear and it didn't even hiccup once.

I'll report back if it happens again but it seems like this issue is fixed. :biggrin:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts