Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'88 CRX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to help my dad replace his tired d15b2 in his '88 Civic Lx(auto trans) with a used engine. Is it possible or easier to remove just the engine while leaving the tranny in place? Is it easier to remove the engine from above or drop it from below? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
Yes, its possible to pull the engine with out removing the trans.
Is it easier, no.

I would say its easier above, because dropping it from below requires you to lift the car, instead of just lifting the engine. Two decently sized men can pick the engine and trans up easily.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
just pull the trans out with it, i promise you will save yourself a lot of work and troubles.... i found out the hard way why its important to pull the tranny at the same time as the engine

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
just pull the trans out with it, i promise you will save yourself a lot of work and troubles.... i found out the hard way why its important to pull the tranny at the same time as the engine
Yup, pull them both. Only time I would EVER separate the two while they're still in the car would be to replace a clutch.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Pull both. Also done top and bottom. I prefer top. Should take you no more then 5hr old one out new in and up n running. But all depends on your skills. Just double check for wires when it comes out so it doesn't get caught.

Also a good order I do is. Undo all wires/cables , coolant hoses, rear motor mount shift linkage, header, tq mount then motor mounts and pull it right out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts