Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team ,
What oil viscosity you guys run on your boosted D16`s . I am running FUCHS 10/40W on mine . But the problem is that no new stock of the oil is coming , majority of the cans available for FUCHS is dated 2012 which worries me ( FUCHS has closed its operations here )

Now i am a dilema as to what oil should i use ? I was thinking of going Caltex 10/30. The only brands i can find here are Caltex / Shell / Total / and Royal Purple ( Ultra Expensive )

Any opinions on viscosity ?

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Apologies . I did a search through Google site search . totally forgot the forum search option :)

Sorry
Rotella T6 seems to be the best oil for the buck. I shall be running it soon

·
Registered
477 Posts
Rotella T6 ftw

This stuff is designed for turbo Diesel motors how can you go wrong! and its cheap as shit lol i just got a gal at autozone for $22 AND it came with a $5 mail in rebate!

My oil pressure is a bit higher then running Mobile 1 fully synthetic. I also like it more then Mobile 1 for its properties.

Shell Rotella T6 5w40 VOA ('new' CJ-4 formulation)
Zn 1264 ppm
P 1147 ppm
Mo 59 ppm

Compare the specs of the T6 rotella oil to a lot of high grade oils and rotella is still better..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mobil1 5w-50 Rally formula /peak performance. 3bar idle and 7-7,5bar @3000rpm and up

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions guys ! but Rotella is not available here. So the majority of the vote goes with 5/40 ?

Edit : I can get my hands very easily on 10/30 and 5/30 from Caltex , any opinions on that ?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Depends on your ambient temps. If you're in warmer climates (50-100+ degrees F) run 10w-30. If your in cold weather (10-60 degrees F) then run 5w-30 or even 0w-30 if you can find it depending on how cold it gets. This info is depending on if you can't get 5w-40 or 10w-40. Obviously the best choice would be a 5w-40.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Depends on temp and clearance of the motor as well get a oil pressure gauge, but 5-40 is ideal

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depends on your ambient temps. If you're in warmer climates (50-100+ degrees F) run 10w-30. If your in cold weather (10-60 degrees F) then run 5w-30 or even 0w-30 if you can find it depending on how cold it gets. This info is depending on if you can't get 5w-40 or 10w-40. Obviously the best choice would be a 5w-40.
Thats a very comprehensive answer bro ! Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is wrong. the first number is the rate in which oil goes thick to thin. you ALWAYS! want this number to be the lowest you can find. i don't care what your ambient temps are. if you have 0w, great! but don't do anything more then 5w. as for the 2nd number.... now thats a whole fucking world of info to know what makes the right pick. to help you, things like ambient temp, clearance, N/A, Turbo, supercharger, the way you drive, racing, DD, redline of rpm, and etc all play a BIG row in what to get.

but 0w-40 if you can find it to start or 5w-40

·
Registered
6 Posts
You said you can get shell, I think they make rotella. Do a quick Google search but I'm almost positive I saw the shell logo on the rotella label.

·
Registered
504 Posts
There are so many comments here that are just stupid and I can't believe you people don't understand simple oil specs. First off, Do NOT run a 0 anything oil in a built motor. You want the thickest oil for best protection that your motor was built for. That being said, it depends on your clearances as to how thick to run. Now the first number, has everything to do with what your expected ambient temp is. The key is you want your first and 2nd number as close together as possible permitting weather temps. The reason for this is, your oil weight is actually what your first number is, then they add modifiers in it to make it act like the weight of the second. Under a lot of stress, these modifiers break down and the oil thins out causing major problems. By running a oil that has a closer W weight to the operating weight you have less modifiers needed, thus less likelihood to break down. 15w40 oil is stronger than 5w40 oil, as there are less modifiers. The info is out there, go search books if you don't believe me.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
My vote is on rotella.

we run rotella T6 in our Nissan UD (inline 6 turbo diesel) tow trucks with 10,000 mile service intervals and never had any issues in the 2 years ive been with the company.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Rotella T6 5-40 as well.

My Start temps are below freezing and I have a Turbo.

I don't care to run 15W when it calls for 0-5 Hahah

Maybe if it was very hot on a race day, I'd throw in thicker if I thought it might need it.

Use thy brain.

It's fully Synthetic, less likely to breakdown, Works at 0 PSI.

I change it every 1500 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts