Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i just finished rebuilding an a6/z6 minime. i dropped it into my 1990 honda crx hf. Got all the wiring and everything hooked up, and now the car willnot start by the key. I can jump the starter and get it to spin that way. I hooked up a voltage meter, when i turn the key it drops 1 volt and you can hear the fuel pump running, clutch in. No solinoid action whatsoever. Also every time i turn on the headlights or push the brakes, my radio dies. Wich means im dropping below usable voltage. But ive gone over the entire wiring system twice, with dielectric grease and tightened/sanded everything. Still no start, not even a click from the damn starter. im getting really pissed off at this stupid car.

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
freshen up your tranny and battery ground again...
both ends of the grounds...both sides of each end...and wire brush the mounting bolts

all i can think of this scenario...been there 10 times if not more

or your battery is dead...
if my battery has ever dropped below 11.75V i start having problems

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
NICE VIDEO! A little long but so full of minor details.

OK, have you tried 12v lead from the battery positive to the spade connector on the starter? By your description, you can, starter engages. That leads me back to the key switch in the column having dirty contacts.

OK, to me this is a no crank issue. Some others list "no crank" issues when the engine will crank over but no fire, "crank no fire" problem.

Put a Lucas sticker on a Honda and you'll know where 90% of the problems will be! (British car joke!)

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, if you can belive it its off of my cellphone. Yes, ive "bench tested" the starter it turns over fine engine isnt locked. Im being lead to belive that for one reason or another, im not getting power to the solenoid. Either dirty contacts or something. Starter works fine. neutral and positive are clean as hell. All fuses are good. Im lead to belive that either the main relay is bad, and then the contacts are dirty in the ignition switch. How hard is it to clean the ignition switch?

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
tranny ground is not mentioned in the video
freshen it up with the wire brush...both sides of both ends...
brush up the body where it contacts as well

the starter does not have a ground...its bolted to the tranny
as long as that starter is good this is a grounding issue...imo

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
i hate the wiring diagrams for the 88-91's
they are such a cluster fuck...pardon my language

the headlights do share a ground with a lot of components
including the ignition switch
but the right headlight and left headlight are part of separate grounding systems
and your left headlight does not share a ground with the ignition
the right does...and also shares with these:
radiator fan relay
right marker light
right directional light
right parking light
ELD (electrical load detector)

one more wire from same right headlight ground junction branches off to these:
heater control panel
auto seatbelt control unit
passenger seat belt retractor
right door latch switch

these all meet at a junction connector somewhere

once again allow me to apologize on behalf of these shitty wiring diagrams
there could easily be more to this digging across 8 pages of rotten garbage

(i assume right to mean passenger side...another debacle amongst this horselessness)

the radiator fan relay is mounted in front of the stock air box
the eld is in the under hood fuse box - 3.wires going into it - first thing behind the main fuse
automatic seat belt control unit appears to be up under dash...passenger floor...left side of glove box area (best i can tell)

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, the ground strap from the harness has a good connection to the t-stat housing. Ive charged the batteries now, and im going to try again. Im not sure what the problem is still but im again, going to go over all my connections one more time.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK! i found it! When i was removing my engine, i accidentally left the starter signal wire attached to the starter, this removed the wire from the main harness plug just enough so it wouldnt touch the pins. But everything looked fine. I just got angry at it after working on it for A WHOLE WEEK and started ripping wires out and lo and behold this one was just loose.. So i reconnected it and BAM it turned over at the key! Now i have another problem.. Im getting no spark and i still need to figure out that stupid IACV 3wire to 2 wire thing, for obd0..

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
ahh...nothing like making it over a big headwall to be confronted by a tidal wave
:)

if you used a z6 head and intake you shouldn't have a 3.wire iacv
what intake manifold are you using...?
you cant use a 3.wire iacv converted to obd0/obd1

you can ohm check the coil primary and secondary (key off engine off)
and check for 12v at the dizzy plug with key on engine off
you can also resistance check your plug wires...they will increase in value with length.
and they should be fairly even spaced in resistance values

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ahh...nothing like making it over a big headwall to be confronted by a tidal wave
:)

if you used a z6 head and intake you shouldn't have a 3.wire iacv
what intake manifold are you using...?
you cant use a 3.wire iacv converted to obd0/obd1

you can ohm check the coil primary and secondary (key off engine off)
and check for 12v at the dizzy plug with key on engine off
you can also resistance check your plug wires...they will increase in value with length.
and they should be fairly even spaced in resistance values
Allright, Problem is im not sure if my wiring is correct in the first place. (Or even if the colors are correct) The IACV on the head is a two wire plug, i have an OBD0 1990 honda crx, that im going to keep OBD0 for the time being. Not sure how to fix that problem. Im using a z6 head and IM on an d16a6 block.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dpfi to mpfi conversion...?
Its an HF model, came stock with MPFI.. i went out to start it last night, turns over fine now, and i know im getting fuel to the cylinders because i can smell it. I took a spark plug out grounded it and found that im getting nothing no spark. Soo.. i need to find a pinout for obd1 to obd0

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
can you describe more of what you want exactly...?
do you own a digital multimeter
have you checked for 12v at the dizzy...?
have you ohm checked the primary and secondary coil...?

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
Its an HF model, came stock with MPFI.. i went out to start it last night, turns over fine now, and i know im getting fuel to the cylinders because i can smell it. I took a spark plug out grounded it and found that im getting nothing no spark. Soo.. i need to find a pinout for obd1 to obd0
if your still with the stock hf and still obd0 why do you need the obd1 pin out if you just said your keeping it obd0? are you converting it or trying to fix your current problem?

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well after going nuts after finding No information on how to go from OBD1 to obd0 i decided to just buy a p75 off ebay and get it chipped, done deal. There is a world of information on obd0 to obd1 so i minds well make it right. What happened is i (Stupidly) Sold my old dizzy off of my old engine. And then i got my hands on this new one, its obd1... So i would have needed to convert it back to obd0 And then i would have needed to change the IACV from 2 pin to 3 pin.. Nuts i tell you. So im just going obd1. Im going to have him, put the vtec to kick in at 4900 rpm Launch control and O2 sensor delete. CEL shift light. And a reburnable rom chip. all for [email protected]$ this guys got my money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts