Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searches and couldn't find anything. I have a stock D16Y8 in a 2000 EX. I had a garage change the timing belt for me and after I got it back it makes a faint noise like a supercharger and also makes a wurring noise between 1,000 to 2,500 RPM. I tried taking each acc. belts off at a time and running it to see if the noise went away, but it didn't. I first thought it was the alternator but now i wonder if its possible that the timing belt is too tight. I know that its not the transmission because its coming from the driver's side. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
It's not only possible, I'd say it's probable. Check it, how much slack you have when cold?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
they probably didn't change the timing belt tensioner like they should have. that is probably what is making the noise. take it back to them and tell them to change the tensioner like they should have done

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
or like burnout said it could be too tight also

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They said that they changed the tensioner out when they replaced the t-belt and water pump. I have no idea how tight the t-blet is, i didn't want to get that far into it and have them say that i messed with it so now its my problem. Is there a special tool to set the tenison on the t-belt?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
no special tool to set the tension, have them check it so that cant say you screwed it up

·
Registered
752 Posts
I Would Agree And Say It's The Tensioner. They Supposed To Buy A Timing Set Which Comes With The Tensioner And Belt But Not The Tensioner Spring. Either That Or They "monstered" On The Tensioner And It's Too Tight. I Don't Think You Can Get The Belt On Too Tight But If You Could I Don't Think It Would Make Much Noise. It Would Just Eventually Stretch Out. MAYBE IT AINT THE RIGHT BELT THEY INSTALLED.
If The Shop Can't Even Suggest A Tensioner Change I Would Not Go Back To Them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got my car back today and the noise is gone now while driving. They said that the timing belt was a little too tight, so they loosened it up now the only time i notice it is when its in neutral and you rev the engine to about 1500 rpms. I think my car has always made that noise a little, but not as loud as it was. Thanks to everyone that gave me tips on what it could have been.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I bet the timing belt is way too tight and that's why it makes the noise, that was happening to mine when i finished my build...

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
^LOL, guess not! Well, a couple things might have happened...they might have never replaced the tensioner pulley or cuz it was too tight, now the new one is shot too! Who knows... Did you feel the tension in the T-belt yourself? I believe it to have about a half inch to 3/4ths an inch of deflection. Anything close to that?

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
just did some searching and found this post....my car is making the same exact noise....i have new timing belt/tensior/water pump within 3500 miles though?

does the noise sound like the damn car gear is loose?

i did see the upper inside t.b cover has black marks on it where it rubbed the timing belt its self which isnt good im sure....

i may just replace the timing belt and tensior just for the hell of it anyway just to be safe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts