Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's another n00b questions, but I just recently turbo charged my car, and got it tuned up. The tuner said the head gasket is most likely starting to go and that I should get it replaced soon. I've been driving it around for the past few days and notice a sort of "growling" sound right around 2500-3k rpms and in the midrange. It's not really noticeable in 4th and 5th gear. Is this an early sign of engine knock and an indication that the head gasket should be replaced?

I am not sure if I am just being paranoid as I am always listening for the slightest things, or if it is a legitimate concern and should be addressed immediately. The sound isn't very loud, but I just want to make sure I don't damage the engine.

Thanks!

ben

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
growl, or knock? not to be an ass, but both sounds aren't the same.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, i should have made it clearer. currently it's making a growling sound. i wasn't sure if the growling noise is an early warning sign that could develop into a knock, or if it is a different problem.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I know it's another n00b questions, but I just recently turbo charged my car, and got it tuned up. The tuner said the head gasket is most likely starting to go and that I should get it replaced soon. I've been driving it around for the past few days and notice a sort of "growling" sound right around 2500-3k rpms and in the midrange. It's not really noticeable in 4th and 5th gear. Is this an early sign of engine knock and an indication that the head gasket should be replaced?

I am not sure if I am just being paranoid as I am always listening for the slightest things, or if it is a legitimate concern and should be addressed immediately. The sound isn't very loud, but I just want to make sure I don't damage the engine.

Thanks!

ben
You don't sound terribly mechanically inclined...

Send a sample of your oil here, and they'll tell you exactly what's going on in your motor:

Blackstone Labs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you'd be correct in saying i am not a car mechanic by any means, i am still learning about cars and the mechanics behind them. i did do the turbo build, but that doesn't say much... anybody can take a turbo kit and throw it on a car. i'll take a look at blackstone. thanks for the link!

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Post a vid.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
you'd be correct in saying i am not a car mechanic by any means, i am still learning about cars and the mechanics behind them. i did do the turbo build, but that doesn't say much... anybody can take a turbo kit and throw it on a car. i'll take a look at blackstone. thanks for the link!
You gave 0 diagnoses information. You described the noise poorly. Plus, you're asking if the headgasket going could be causing the noise...did you even check for headgasket issues?

I would expect somebody with mechanical inclination to say something like this:

I noticed a pinging noise between X and Y rpms
The noise happens on engine rpm deceleration
I checked for the noise on cold start and after driven
I checked the oil for obvious metal shavings or fragments and for signs of coolant
I did a compression and leakdown and the test came back x,y,z,a

I mean, you did 0 homework. You just came on and said your engine has a vague noise and were wondering if the headgasket could be causing it.

This spoon-feeding type of question is what led to my conclusion.

Not to sound condescending; just telling you how I feel..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right, I should have given some more information. I just went out and shot a video which is currently uploading., hopefully that will help.

The noise generally happens between 2500-4000 rpm.
It's the most noticeable when accelerating.
The noise does happen both right after starting and after being warmed up.
I have not checked the oil for contaminants yet, but i have not seen any signs of foaming, or build up due to coolant in the head, not have i seen any haze on the dipstick (which might be hard to determine anyway). Coolant and oil levels have remained constant over the past 5 days.
I have not done any compression or leak-down tests, but may be able to get my hands on the equipment to do so and see what we can find.

Is there any other information I can try and post that would help diagnose it?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
cant really tell by the video, hondas do normally have a light ticking noise.. you cant diagnose a bearing thats getting ready to go unless you drop the pan... drain the oil, put fresh 10w30 in it, and run it... wouldnt hurt to change the headgasket, but if theres no signs of coolent leaking, coolent in the oil, oil in the coolent, coolent burning out the exhaust, the only other way to check is a leakdown/compression test.. you can get these testers at your local advanced or autozone

·
11,892 Posts
Idk about the growling but wtf is that humming? Is your tbelt tensioner too tight?

·
11,892 Posts
Uh yeah loosen that bastard up dude. I've heard this before but never that bad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do, I'll add it to the list of things to do tomorrow. Anything you notice from the clip that I should take a look at?

·
11,892 Posts
Idk dude.

Fix the tensioner and take another vid.....maybe the sound will show up better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright, so the only thing i had time to do tonight was compression check the engine, and i concluded that my compression checker is busted... at least it appears to have a leak. All the cylinders read around 85. Which is REALLY low and it was too consistent for me to believe it was accurate. i'm going to borrow a friends and give it another go.

I'll report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
From those vids I gathered nothing...sorry. But if you think your HG is going frequently check your coolant overflow rez to see if an excess of fluid is dumping into it. That means you are experiencing head lift and you will need to replace your HG. You have ARPs in there I hope? I think you are just hearing something other than something "bad", just normal obscure noises. That tends to happen when you modify a vehicle. LOL!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha, thanks for the post, BLK92. Actually, the overflow rez is seeing an excess of fluid, it even fills to the top sometimes. I'm pretty assured that it's a head gasket problem and I'll probably go ahead and replace that. Thanks for all the help, guys! I'll hopefully have time to do the gasket this week and will post here after doing that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts