Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been though 4 timing belts in less then a month. I change the crank timing pully. I change the belt tenchener. I even changed the cam gear. I took off all the plastic to make sure non of it was touching. I still cant find out what it is. I think it might be the wrong size timing belt. Im runing a d15b1 head with a b7 cam, and I z6 block. Im not real sure what timing belt I should use, but it keeps eating up d15b1,2,7 timing belts.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
try a Z6 belt...and remember to loosen the tensioner and rotate the engine counter clockwise for about 6-8 teeth on the belt and then tighten the tensioner to 20 ft./lbs.

this will put perfect tension on the belt..and yes it will have slack on one side and be tight on the other.:TU: haynes/helms manual ownz

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did that. The z6 belt is way to small and wont even fit over the cam gear.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Well you have changed everything out that I would guess to be the culprit....just make sure to use a new honda belt and dont over/under tighten it , make sure your tensioner or water pump is not faulty and causing the belt to bind. I would use the belt that matches the head .

·
Registered
same as above
1,084 Posts
14.3.1 C/R to high for stock rods?
We will soon see. have fun with that one!

·
Registered
259 Posts
u said your using the z6 block, if your honda is 88-91, you have modify the drivers side 88-91 engine mount so the belt wont rub. Might be the problem if that the case.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
u said your using the z6 block, if your honda is 88-91, you have modify the drivers side 88-91 engine mount so the belt wont rub. Might be the problem if that the case.
Did it.

The VX belt is smaller then the Z6 belt and the z6 belt doesnt fit. So the vx belt will be way to small.

This is not the 14.3.1 motor. Thats motor is in my white car and has been runing for almost 2 months. I had a carb fire and just havent got around to geting a new carb for it.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
How about the D16A6 belt? What is the difference between the Z6 and A6, timing belt wise?
I really don't see why the Z6 belt shoudln't fit, as I had imagined the cam gear to at the same hight in both head castings.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
spare parts lying around to make a motor I guess....

but I must agree with the statement... I think the timing belt is rubbibg somewhere...

did you forget the spacer collar that you install on the crankshaft right before the plastic cover; sandwitched between the lower timing belt gear, and the harmonic balancer....

check the cam gear... cause I noticed a clearance issue with my buddies stock head off his 85 CRX Si, when we had it mated to a D15B7 block.... I needed to drill out some washers to move the cam gear away from the head about 4-6mm.... cause the belt was gonna rub on the head (or somewhere).

If u install a new belt, leave the cam gear cover off and use a timing light to look at the timing belt while the engine is running.... see if you can see the problem forming (lines, wear, etc.)

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Go to Honda and get an OEM timing belt.....my car also did this as well.....turned out that the belts givin to me from auto zone were all wrong.....even when i took it back to get the corrected one.....it was still off and wrong by 1 fucking tooth....go to honda and get ur timing belt...you may pay lil more...but no fuck ups...and check ur timing on ur Dizzy as well...

·
Registered
284 Posts
use the a6 belt, d16 deck height with pm3 head = stock d16a6

i'm not sure if the tensioner on the z6 is smaller than the a6 one, IIRC it is...and this could be a part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Stock or shaved head? Shitty machine shop shave too much material sometime from one side of the head! Now your cam isn't parallel with the crank and the belt touch the block or try to slide out of the camgear....

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
use the a6 belt, d16 deck height with pm3 head = stock d16a6

i'm not sure if the tensioner on the z6 is smaller than the a6 one, IIRC it is...and this could be a part of the problem.

Cool. Im going to try that. I got a a6 tensioner to, so I'll try that as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts