1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Civic Wagon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've got a D16A6 Engine Harness I've been cleaning up

Originally, when I removed the engine, the O2 sensor connector was very brittle and worn out as usual, and it fell right away from the harness upon removal

I still have the connector and the pin, which I can crimp back into the harness through a terminal, and I will obviously be buying a new O2 sensor, so I think I'm fine there

Anyways, I am now in the process of repairing this thing, but there's something strange about the harness wiring headed towards the O2 Sensor to me - Again, this could be due to me being a newbie

Obviously a harness that's 21 years old will have it's fair share of wear, but this seems strange

In the first picture you can see where there are frayed wires leading from the harness out towards the O2 Sensor wire - The gauge of the wire seems to change as well - What's up with that?

In the second photo the O2 Sensor wire has this strange midway connection before it gets to the connector - It almost looks like shitty solder to me, but hey, what do I know - Any thoughts?

Finally, in the third photo you see the O2 Connector for the harness and the pin that's taking a vacation from it's home there - As I stated before, my idea was to crimp the wires from the harness back into the original pin - is this okay?

Any input is appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
First pic is normal. It's shielding wire.

2nd pic looks like some one tapped in to the wire for what ever reason or tryed to fix it but did a shitty job.

3rd pic your gonna need a new plug with wire and solder it to the engine harness.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Wagon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lovely, lovely, lovely

Thanks for the fast response man

Would an O2 Connector like that be hard to find like say... at a junkyard?
Did many cars from the OBD0 Era use the same type of single wire O2 Sensor Connector?

If that's the case, I can probably track one down

However, I don't have a soldering iron - that doesn't mean I couldn't get one - But a simple crimp on terminal with heat shrink wouldn't do the trick?

Or is that me being cheap? Hahaha

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Yes it can be found in the junkyard. Pretty sure all 88-91 use that same plug. Solder and heat shrink is the better way of doing it.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Wagon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I plan to do as nice of a job as I can in re-looming the harness to preserve it, but really, other than a few connections needing cleaned up it's in pretty great shape

I agree in thinking that somebody, at one point, hacked this particular connection up in an attempt to "fix" it

I'll be checking the local junkyard here for a connector

1 - 6 of 6 Posts