Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my girdle on the z6 broke. I dont want to buy a new block just to get the girdle off casue i already have a built block minus the girdle. I can have it welded by a pro for free,has anyone ever done this?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Less headache (in the long run) to find another block/girdle combination.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
3,888 Posts
so my girdle on the z6 broke. I dont want to buy a new block just to get the girdle off casue i already have a built block minus the girdle. I can have it welded by a pro for free,has anyone ever done this?
a pro wont weld it for free.
how built is it? ryan89crx blew a cylinder wall on his zc and reused all major parts when he swapped all the stuff over to a a6. if you havent started yours yet i dont see why not just get another block and swap it all over

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You don't want to use the girdle from another block, most likely it won't line up and if it does your bearings will have issues unless you line hone it to match them up. Just get a new block and start there.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a pro wont weld it for free.
how built is it? ryan89crx blew a cylinder wall on his zc and reused all major parts when he swapped all the stuff over to a a6. if you havent started yours yet i dont see why not just get another block and swap it all over
a pro will weld it for free,he is my good friend. Why dont i want to get another block and swap eveything over? Cause this is a sleeved block that has nothing wrong with it besides a broken girdle in one spot. I didnt blow the engine. It fell off thy engine stand and only that part broke. Sucks but thats what happened:(

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you do weld it chances are it will warp and require a line hone to be safe.

A new block & girdle will be the safe bet...sucks buy you wont be worried every time you hit 7,000 RPM!

·
Registered
720 Posts
imo, get another girlde from a different engine, and send it all out to get line honed.. from than on you should be good, no?

sleeved singles = teh secks

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
get another girdle, get it line bored/honed....

on anything less then a sleeved block I'd say toss it.

<- has tossed a block because of a nuked girdle

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Ouch, dropped the block off the stand? I'm with these guys about having it sent to be honed or whatever it is. Get a good condition one and use that. I'd rather have my expensive block be safe @ over 7k rpms with a perfect girdle than a welded one...just my opinion.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ouch, dropped the block off the stand? I'm with these guys about having it sent to be honed or whatever it is. Get a good condition one and use that. I'd rather have my expensive block be safe @ over 7k rpms with a perfect girdle than a welded one...just my opinion.
i see what you guys are saying. Im not tossing the block. I mean its a sleved block by aebs that has nothing wrong with it so you see why i dont want to get another block and transfer everything over like some people told me. Ok so i habe to get another girdle and get it line honed. What is that?How much does it run? And im pretty sure i can only use a z6 girdle correct? BTW thanks for your input so far guys

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i see what you guys are saying. Im not tossing the block. I mean its a sleved block by aebs that has nothing wrong with it so you see why i dont want to get another block and transfer everything over like some people told me. Ok so i habe to get another girdle and get it line honed. What is that?How much does it run? And im pretty sure i can only use a z6 girdle correct?
yes use a z6 girdle. and basically they sit the block on its side and bore down between the block and girdle. price is dependant on the machine shop you go to. and forget about the bearings you have, you will need new ones. and you will have to measure it all over again. i can't stress it enough that you measure and not with "plasitic guage".

i have only seen this done once on a honda (f22b2 engine to be specific). and it came back 30k miles later with a frozed crank. not the engines fault, mechanic did not measure the bearings. yes, dude got fired.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes use a z6 girdle. and basically they sit the block on its side and bore down between the block and girdle. price is dependant on the machine shop you go to. and forget about the bearings you have, you will need new ones. and you will have to measure it all over again. i can't stress it enough that you measure and not with "plasitic guage".

i have only seen this done once on a honda (f22b2 engine to be specific). and it came back 30k miles later with a frozed crank. not the engines fault, mechanic did not measure the bearings. yes, dude got fired.
good info thanks. Before this bullshit happened i had bought a set of acl main bearings. Those arent good ne more?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
damn thats gay
ehh, next time don't drop the engine ;).

i always make sure the pan is one before i even try to pull the engine of the stand. and i even keep the pan on if i am not actively working on the bottom end. same with my spare head on the top half. just to make sure nothing would happen to my block.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Ah yes, crank line honing! I was watching a show on cable where some guys were at the show dedicated to motorsports...kind of like SEMA, but not. They showed some machinary at work and showed a small block getting crank honed. It's exactly like a bore hone, but sideways for the journals. Not sure on pricing, but I'm sure a muscle car machine shop would have one.

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts