Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When rebuilding Honda engines do you guys always use ARP or new head bolt/studs? Do you also use ARP or new main/cranks bolts/studs? What are the chances the cylinders on Honda high mileage engines are distorted (egg shaped)? This engine will be NA but I will be installing new ARP rod bolts for sure.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have always used ARP where I could, never had any failures have ran their head studs in multiple different engine ( pulling the same set from one and putting into another) and never had any issues.

As for the cylinder walls being distorted I haven't ran across it. On every engine I have re-ringed or put new pistons in I have used stock bore size with out any issues. I have been into engines with 50k up to 350k. Not saying it doesn't happen just probably been lucky.

·
Registered
983 Posts
id say if its a stock rebuild there is no need to go with ARP anything. though you should not reuse stock honda headbolts but getting some new ones. if its a high compression engine the ARP head studs and rod bolts would be a good idea. or if you plan to go turbo in the future you may as well go ahead and put those bits in.

i have never heard of anyone using ARP main bolts. pretty much everyone i know just keeps reusing the honda ones.

if you want reliability out of the engine it would be best to have a machine shop check out the block or do it yourself if you have the measuring tools. if you just want the engine slapped together then just slap it together otherwise do it right and check it out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Use the best you can afford.

I try not to reuse any critical fastener that's been subject to a great deal of tension or side load. Screws or bolts such as those for cranks would only qualify in this way if the bearings are fubared.

In my (limited) experience, ovality in the bores is more likely to come from wear than stretch. In which case, unevenness should be visible if it's there.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I like using ARP bolts and studs for the fact if I go into an engine once there is a good chance I will be back in it in the future. So why spend money 2-3-4 times on stock replacements when you could buy once and save money later on?
But then again I'm hard on engines and normally have to get in them every 30k-50k miles. Or about once a year. So for me it makes more sense to purchase good reusable fasteners once. All depends on you and what you take from our suggestions really.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Considering new head bolts from Honda are 10-15 dollars each, I've always gone ARP. A much better fastener with reuse potential, for around the same price depending on where you source the ARP head studs from. For a stock setup, the stock bolts are not torque to yield so as long as they haven't been torqued too many times in the past they shouldn't have stretched too much. I typically feel 2-3 reuses of stock head bolts on stock D engines is fair, as long as the internals are stock.

If stock/NA, the stock stud/nut setup on the rods is almost always sufficient. Only when turning RPM above stock limits or running higher compression in NA form might you decide to use ARP rod bolts.

The main cap bolts are not torque to yield, and they are much beefier than the head bolts and don't stretch as much. So as long as you evacuate the thread bore hole of oil/crap/fluids, use a good fastener lube, then torque to spec, your main bolts can be reused numerous times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts