Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Honda Civic Ex
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has nothing to do with engine building, but I was wondering if anyone knew if I should powercoat my block(just front & rear) before or after getting my sleeves put in. I know the process gets the block up to 350 degrees to bake, would that affect the block in any way? Or should I just spray paint the block after sleeving? I am finally doing my first fully rebuild, instead of my normal engine guy(out of the business now). Just want to look great once done, bc last time he built, not so a pretty sight(ran great, but ugly). Thanks for any info for this noob on the site, even though I am registered since 2005, haha.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
spray paint it if anything. no point in getting machine work done then sending it back to get it re-decked from it warping with that much heat.

·
Registered
'99 Honda Civic Ex
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought, just wanted to get another person's view of it, thanks. Any paint hold up to the abuse of a turboed dd? Last paint that I used on the valve cover(wrinkle something) turned green from silver after one degreasing job, then flaked off after 2nd time. I want something to handle cleaning.

·
Registered
an ej8 coupe
553 Posts
vht cast coat aluminum paint. i used it on my motor and trans about 20k miles ago. it still holds up even with mild use of a power washer. and its a turbo d that i daily.

·
Premium Member
95 Solvic, 93 dS si
694 Posts
you need to use a high temp clear sealer to keep the paint from reacting with degreasers. As far as coating the block.. VHT, alumacast, duplicolor, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
'99 Honda Civic Ex
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to just paint the basis silver color. Want a factory look in my engine bay, and car is silver as well. Going to accent it with black fittings and black tubing. Just a plain jane color scheme, I know. What's the best way to clean the block after the sleeving process. Exospeed says they clean them, not sure if they hot tank it in aluninum safe solvent or just pressure wash it. My block has oxidized pretty badly.

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts

SEYMOUR ALUMI-BLAST
#16-55

A professional grade coating that restores parts to an original, cast aluminum appearance. This non-smudge aluminum spray is formulated with acrylic resin for adhesion, corrosion resistance, and maximum durability.
Buy on eBay its cheaper there! I think I paid $40 shipped for a Case
Suggested Uses:
paint cast aluminum wheels
paint aluminum rims
paint alternators
paint for engine parts

$61.56
(Case of 6)

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Before :

After :

All done by my machinist...but it has hot tanked, media blasted, and coated with some anti-corrosion aluminum paint.

Oh yeah, here's my painting job using Simple Green and a stiff brittle brush to clean and Duplicolor aluminum colored paint :

Before paint, after degreasing :

After paint :

1 - 11 of 11 Posts