Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was driving like an asshole last night on the way back to my house, and when i got home i noticed that i was blowing white smoke out the tail pipe... i was thinking it a blown seal on the turbo at first so i wasnt too worried, but after a half an hour of my car being off, i started it back up and went to back it out of my driveway (still smoking) and i noticed that it had very little power (probably compression issue) i popped the hood and saw that the engine was wet but the head was dry... so im pretty sure its a head gasket, but can anyone try to verify this for me? the head is already pulled and the pistons and walls look fine but then again im not really sure what to look for... PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

Symptoms: No power
wet on block but not on head
white smoke out of the tail pipe
white smoke coming out of valve cover when oil cap is off

·
Registered
721 Posts
check your oil and radiator situation, see if its mixed, and even if not, it does sound like a head gasket, although, should have checked compression before pullin the head off so that you would know if you toasted ur rings, chances are its worth rebuilding the whole thing anyway. But if you wanna chance it, slap on a new headgasket and hope that it didnt' get hot enough to toast the rings...

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, im hoping that it didnt toast rings, and im not really sure if theres a way to find out besides doing a compression check, but the walls dont have any scratches or scars and the pistons look ok, so im hoping that a new hg will work...

oh and when i drained the radiator, i didnt see any oil in it, but its too late to check to see if theres antifreeze in the oilpan because some leaked into the oilpan when i took the head off.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
White smoke is coolant burning I believe. I'd listen to Lude, sounds right on.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much of a difference in the color of antifreeze smoke and oil smoke... it smelled a lot like oil but im not positive... if it was antifreeze then i know its an HG issue... correct me if im wrong

btw, we are sitting in my garage facing my driveway in 2 lawn chairs drinkin beer, so the longer the responses take, the more fucked up my replies will be

oh and i have an HG ordered from carquest and it will be in tomorrow

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
how much of a difference in the color of antifreeze smoke and oil smoke... it smelled a lot like oil but im not positive... if it was antifreeze then i know its an HG issue... correct me if im wrong

btw, we are sitting in my garage facing my driveway in 2 lawn chairs drinkin beer, so the longer the responses take, the more fucked up my replies will be

oh and i have an HG ordered from carquest and it will be in tomorrow
:TU:

Seriously, give everything a good look, get a new HG, and do a compression and leakdown test after it's pu back together to make sure everything is good.

Did the smoke have a blue tint?

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
blueish smoke is usually oil

white smoke is water from the coolant "burning"

good luck with it...couldnt you flip the block upside down and fill it witha little oil right under each piston to see if the oil will pass through the piston rings?

Reactions: thsmrtone1

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good luck with it...couldnt you flip the block upside down and fill it witha little oil right under each piston to see if the oil will pass through the piston rings?
i was trying to stay away from taking the engine out of the car at least as long as i dont have to, so im hoping its the HG because if its not, im going to be out of a car for longer than just tomorrow...

as far as the color of the smoke goes, i couldnt really tell if it had a bluish tint or not because it was dark out and the only light around was my dinky ass flashlight i carry with me, but i do know it was a light color and it was thick as hell

i will let you guys know tomorrow if the new HG works but until then, enjoy the picture!!!! (it will be added to my avatar within the next week or so)

******* cupholder numero dos!!!!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
hopefully it was the head gasket.

mine was blowing a little bit of greyishblue smoke from the tail pipe and white smoke from the valve cover when i busted the ringlands on 2 pistons. and no i could not see it from the top when the head was off. i had to pull the pistons just to see the damage.

good luck

·
Registered
721 Posts
if you blow a head gasket chances are you'll blow oil too, but you can deffinately SMELL coolant burning...when ever I smell it warning bells flash in my head...

Now that I think about it, might be a good idea to check the rad hoses/radiator pipe behind the block, they notoriously rot out, even if your hoses look good nows a good time to spend the extra 10 bucks and get new ones, its a bitch tryin to replace them with everthing back on the car

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, first, i didnt have a compression check kit, and i dont have an air compressor so im kinda sol on that, i was just praying that it would be head gasket...

second, i just now finished putting the new HG on and putting everything back together and i have more bad news... smoke coming out the breather filter... so thats probably rings isnt it... (its ok, tell me the bad news)

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
there's WATER in that cylinder......

wait.....you guys call that BEER....:haha:......hahahahahahahahah

·
Registered
629 Posts
bud light = teh suck. I live in missouri and i still think it sucks.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey beer is beer when u still have a year till the word they like to call "legal"...

so if someone verifies my worries about ringlands i have 4 choices...
1) buy a new car and put this one in the garage for a while (by new car i mean less than $500 junkie that will pass emissions)
2) buy a new engine (thinkin z6)
3) attempt finding jdm vtec-e pistons
4) get regular vtec pistons, and find a vtec head

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
look for someone who has stock rods and pistons for sale.buy them, have them checked at the machine shop, install new bearings and piston rings. this is if you cant find a used motor for sale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts