Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I see alot about engine compression, especially when turboing a car. Bit of a noob here and want to learn all about compression as its obviously a major part in engine building. Has anyone got a link to somewhere that explains compression or a few explainations for me. Thanks guys

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
there are 4 strokes in the engine. intake, compression, power, exhaust.

on the intake stroke fuel is injected into the cylinders and mixed with air.

on the compression stroke the fuel/air mixture are compressed to be ready to ignite. the higher the compression, the more the mixture is compressed. the lower the compression the less its compressed.

on the power stroke the spark plug ignites the mixture when the piston is at top dead center, forcing the piston down turning the crank and creating torque/power.

on the exhaust stroke the exhaust valves open and the piston is on its way back up and forces the exhaust out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah cool thats what I thought. So you basically want as high a compression as you can get. A turbo would force even more air and therefore mixture in raising the compression even more? How high a compression can you go with out blowing up your engine? I take it that up to what engine you have and loads of other research, eg my d15b2 has fairly small piston rods? thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts