Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do a complete overhaul on my engine but I am not sure which parts I need to change and which parts I can reuse again.

Do I need to change all these with new…?

1. All the O-rings like how it is said in the manual? O-rings on throttle body like on EACV, FIV, TA sensor, MAP sensor and Idle Adjusting Screw O-rings?
2. Washers on the Fuel Feed hose?
3. Self-Locking nuts on damper fork and Spindle nuts on drive shaft?
4. O-rings on distributor and V-TEC?
5. Valve seals, spark plug seals?
6. Rubber seals on valve cover and timing belt cover?
7. Cam pulley and crank seals?
8. Oil screen gasket?
9. Piston rings?
10. Connecting rod bearings?
11. Water pump and connector pipe and TW sensor, Thermo switch O-rings and Thermostat mounting rubber?
12. Do I need to recondition the engine like cutting the valve seats, valves and stuff like that or they are just for special conditions?

I don’t pay for this overhaul since the mechanic had done top overhaul for me twice and had screwed up because he didn’t send the block side for milling and I ended up with exhaust gas leaking to cooling system and making the car to overheat everyday.

you can read about all my troubles here:

http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=54567

http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=51871

http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=54203

So this time he has sent me to another workshop, maybe better one, to take out the engine and take care of everything. But right now when I am telling them that they have to change all the O-rings and gaskets based on Honda manual, they say no because they are still good. I don’t mind to pay for it if I have to change. I am afraid they just want to keep the costs lower and make the work easier for themselves. Is it going to cost me a lot if I change all of these to new? If I don’t change what is going to happen? Do you guys change these things when you take out your engine for repair?

Now that the gearbox is also out of car, what do you suggest that I do with it? Do I need to open that up too? If not, which parts do I need to change to have peace of mind?

The only thing that I want is peace of mind with my car this time, since it has made my life like hell during last 2 months.

When you suggest, have in mind that my car has been overheated many times during last 2 months.

My engine is JDM D15B VTEC, but I only have USDM Honda manual. Which engine should I consider as nearest to mine in that? D16Z6? Do you have a link for downloading JDM one?

·
Registered
CRX, Wrangler
397 Posts
Are you opposed to putting in a new motor?

I would be weary to give my motor to a shop who is going to do it for free, because someone else messed it up.

After reading the other threads you have up, and looking at the color of the water jacket, and the color of your crankcase I'd be afraid that you're going to go through all of this effort, and still have a motor that runs like crap.

-Des!

EDIT: Some of those things are not really directly related to the motor. I can see why Honda would suggest replacing "Self-Locking nuts on damper fork and Spindle nuts on drive shaft", but I wouldn't expect a shop to do that. I hope you get the car running man, you've had a lot of trouble with that thing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you opposed to putting in a new motor?
I am not opposed man but right now after spending so much on this s*** I don’t have enough money to buy a new engine for it and engine here is not as cheap as it is in US.

I would be weary to give my motor to a shop who is going to do it for free, because someone else messed it up.
He is actually the boss of the guy who screwed my engine.

After reading the other threads you have up, and looking at the color of the water jacket, and the color of your crankcase I'd be afraid that you're going to go through all of this effort, and still have a motor that runs like crap.
Right now I don’t have any other way, just have to do this and hope that it is going to be fine and working this time. But now that I am doing it I want to do it well and complete.

EDIT: Some of those things are not really directly related to the motor. I can see why Honda would suggest replacing "Self-Locking nuts on damper fork and Spindle nuts on drive shaft", but I wouldn't expect a shop to do that. I hope you get the car running man, you've had a lot of trouble with that thing.
Self-locking nuts and spindle nuts are not related to engine but they have opened them to take out the engine from my car! What about the rest of the things related to engine? Which one needs to be changed? If there is anything else that I have to change and I didn’t mention there, let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
854 Posts
all the parts should be checked for proper tolerances against the helms manual

that will tell you what you can/can't reuse

take it to another shop that knows what the hell they're doing and/or specializes in engine rebuilding. then send the bill to the a$$holes who fucked it up in the first place

IMO, go to a local junkyard and buy a lightly used engine out of a wrecked car. they've gotta be common around malaysia

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,664 Posts
Usually I change every gasket and o-ring on every job I do. Every part gets cleaned and reconditioned before reassembly. (But I haven't done a complete motor at once.) I would make sure all the bottom end parts get the royal treatment. You can more easily get at and re-do the top end later (just a thought).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have milled my block side and pistons too this time but I still could see some scratches on block. Should it be as smooth as mirror or very small scratches are ok? and they will be cleaned by sanding and be sealed by gasket.

They didn’t send the head for milling this time because mechanic said that it can not be done anymore. It looks ok but it has also some visible scratch on it and mark of the old gasket. He said if next time I have any problem, head can not be used any more since the first time it was badly damaged and they had to cut a lot to make it even. So here it goes my head!

I just want to know if you guys mill your block and head every time you open the head.

How smooth should the surface of head and block be?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just now I remembered something which I didn’t think of it before.

When the engine is in overheating condition or it is in extremely hot situation, shouldn’t the radiator fan work? Because now that I think when my car was overheating and I open up the bonnet the fan was off then after sometime it would come on then again goes off! Shouldn’t it be working all the time when engine is that hot till it gets cold? Is it normal or I am having a broken sensor or something?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts