Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be considered a good price, to have an engine built? i'm looking at getting a block cleaned up, have everything put into spec, and having it put together with my supplied parts. i'm looking to have a vitara/eagle combo for boost. this is my first turbo build and i want to have the block ready so i can move up as i learn without having to get another engine. also could anyone recommend a good place to have build it for me, i don't think shipping will be a problem.

·
Registered
801 Posts
search around, there are a lot of spoonfeeding threads on rebuilds and costs.

The cost part varies for everyone. i'm building N/A on a budget and i've already put out around a grand including the initial engine purchase and having my head redone.

I'm not overly familiar with boost builds. Though i'm pretty sure the vitara/eagle combo treat you well.

My super general suggestion would be to build with the extra stress of boost in mind.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Have you considered doing it yourself? I've been assured its not as hard as it looks. With the right tools and plastiguages of course. And its a great learning experience.

There is a threat, in the DIY section I believe, about bottom end bearing replacement. That requires quite a bit of tearing apart of the bottom end.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
just look around locally at some engine shops and see what they charge, that way you can spare the shipping expense...i would imagine that every shop is different in what they charge, so shop around!

i know my assembly cost around ~$1100, and i provided all the parts....that was with a head rebuild too.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
DO IT YOURSELF. I'm a nursing student with no mechanical background and I still built my motor myself. New pistons, new bearings, port job, cam, valve springs, the whole deal except for machine work like boring and honing. You will save a ton of money and can use your saved money to buy tuning equipment. It took me a while at first, but after a while I have become so familiar with a motor that I could assemble a complete motor and have it running in one day. Download a helms manual off hondahookup.com because that will be your bible. Trust me it's not as hard as it seems. Assembling the block is one of the easiest things to do. You need three things: time, tools, and confidence!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Actually there are a COUPLE of threads that actually give numbers as to what their build cost. I know I just went through this when I was machine shop shopping. I got all kinds of crazy high price quotes from the reputable 'speed shops' etc. All in all, I ended up finding a sleeper machine shop, a 2 guy operation that I would not hesitate to go back to in a heartbeat. I have them clean, bore (.5 over)deck, hone and assemble my short block. Total bill was $575. assembly was only the major components of crank, rods and pistons. Worth every penny IMO.

I've never built an engine before, or short block from the inside out, I'm pretty sure I'm capable if I had the correct tools, but after spending 400+ on rods and pistons, then another 300+ for the bore and hone etc. I didn't want to jeopordize it by F'n up the bearing clearances! The info is out there if you decide to DIY, so good luck either way!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
I built my motor using this forum and unless you polish the crank journals, the bearing sizes from before the assemble WILL fit exactly the same. There are stamps on the crank counterweights indicating what size/color main and conrod bearings you need.

·
Registered
667 Posts
if youre looking to shops make sure you look around and make sure they do a good job at reasonable prices

unfortunately there are only 2 or 3 machine shops here on the island so i guess they drove the price up and people have no choice but to pay a little more

but a little here and a little there can add up to a sheet load

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
Well if you have someone else do it, my recommendation is to have a local guy do it as opposed to shipping the block out. That way if they drag their ass in getting your engine done you can drive over there and stand on someone's desk or just get your stuff outta there. Also, you may need to go over there and inspect any issues first hand if there are any.

·
Registered
60 Posts
if youre looking to shops make sure you look around and make sure they do a good job at reasonable prices

unfortunately there are only 2 or 3 machine shops here on the island so i guess they drove the price up and people have no choice but to pay a little more

but a little here and a little there can add up to a sheet load
island??!! where you at, man?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
If I could build an engine without having it blow up on startup, just about anyone can. There are a few things you should always do if you have someone else build the engine, anyway, and sometimes checking someone else's work takes more time than doing it yourself. And, for the record, you SHOULD checke everything. Even on this forum, there are enough threads about people having issues with work that was well paid for and it just didn't work right and when a little bit of checking is done, the original work was at fault.

Stuck, WL is somewhere in the State of Hawaii.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts