Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm rebuilding a motor. Got a new y8 head, all new y7 internals including crank and a z6 block but don't know the year of it possible a 93 cause that's the oil pump it uses. My question is will my y8 head fit on my z6 block and will the y7 internals fit the z6?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Im just curious on why you collected all these parts with no knowledge of the inter-changabilities

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im just curious on why you collected all these parts with no knowledge of the inter-changabilities
I had a y8 in the car when I bought it but motor was blown. So I bought a new y8 head and y7 block and new internals but turned out the block couldn't hold rod bearing so bought the z6 block

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,226 Posts
The y7 & y8 are technically is the same besides pistons/rods/head, but the y7 is known to have a MUCH higher chance to spin bearings than the y8. The y8 is known to spin bearings more often than all pre-96 d-series motors combined, so don't downplay the importance of your oiling system.

The y7 crank & y8 head will fit the z6 block if the correct parts are used. You can use the z6 pump if you use a z6 pan & rear main seal. If you want the y7 or y8 pan, then you must use the y7/8 pump & rear main seal. I believe it's a combination of inadequate oil pump AND poor crank oiling, so use a shimmed z6 pump if possible. Better yet, use a z6 or a6 crank if you can find one.

I can't recall the combo needed for the headstuds, but google & the DSO archives can help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts