Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if anyone out there has experience, or has heard of similar, with fitting the 2-valve/cylinder head (D13B7 SOHC) onto a D15 (Z6 or Z7) engine block. Having in mind it's a same engine family, head bolt locations should be fitting (but what about water/oil passages?).

The engine would be a N/A build, with increased C.Ratio (as the head chambers on the 2-valve head will be rather smaller for the D15 block capacity) - in theory,
it could be a rather useful, reliable & torquey "daily runabout", as an upgrade for the somewhat tired engine that's currently inside.

Would be good to know any experiences, or links to something related (or just your ideas/views on whether you think it'd be possible?).

Cheers & thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't need much power, just a simple 2-valve engine with a bigger capacity than the original.

As can be seen in the case of the GM LS-engine, there are certain 2-valve heads that indeed have a potential to be almost as efficient as 4-valve ones, with better transient response (drivability, in-gear accelerativeness etc.)

Whilst the puny 2-valve head of the Logo is definitely not one of those special 2-valve heads, I believe it's definitely not "halving" the flow compared to the 4-valve "mainstream", non-sporty D-series heads...

Was just wondering what would be involved (guess I'm going to need to disassemble mine first and take it from there...).

Cheers

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Your 2 valve cylinder head is a 4valve head with 2 valves NOT cast into the final production.

The GM LS motors you rbing up are OPTIMIZED heads for 2 valves, aka, the 2 valves were in teh design from the get go.

apples to potatoes when comparing different engine families.

So you are infact, in theory, cutting half your potential airflow.

Your idea of a high compression 2valve honda setup is going to be beaten quite badly by even a stock d16z6 with a little bit of work.

Perhaps a d15z1 economy vtec setup would work better?

In 5th gen hatchbacks, they can quite easily get over 55mpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts