Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to this site and to hondas. I have been searching this site for a few days now with no clear answers. I have a '90 hatch with the d15b2. Basically I want to keep the b2 bottom end and eventually run boost. I also want to stay SOHC and non vtec. I know I need to swap to MPFI but what else should i do to make the engine reliable? A6 cam, y7 or 8 cam gear, etc? Should I run different pistons? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am new to this site and to hondas. I have been searching this site for a few days now with no clear answers. I have a '90 hatch with the d15b2. Basically I want to keep the b2 bottom end and eventually run boost. I also want to stay SOHC and non vtec. I know I need to swap to MPFI but what else should i do to make the engine reliable? A6 cam, y7 or 8 cam gear, etc? Should I run different pistons? Thanks for any help.
You can use a D16A6 head on from a si with the better fuel injection system or use the si system on the b2 head.

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,375 Posts
how much boost are you wanting to run? your motor is kind of limited as rods are expensive as hell.. and stock cant handle much mroe than 200 ish whp

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i recommend you save up for a d16 to swap in, and if you can afford it, build the bottom end before you swap it in. That way you can run as much boost as you want and not have to worry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not much boost. Maybe 5-10. I am not a hard driver. This is also not a daily driver. Just one of my toys. Just want more power without doing a full swap. I have also been sort of challenged to build the b2. Everybody here has done at least a b16 swap and they think they are the fasyest thing on the road. I want to be able to hang with them and then see the look on thier face when I tell them its a d-series. Anybody got a good parts list I could go off of. I have no problem getter stronger rods if it is neccissary. This build is going to be spread out over some time. I will be going through every inch of the engine. I was going to buy a rebuild kit since the motor burns oil right now but if stock internals can't handle boost I will buy everything individual. Sorry so many questions. I just want to get parts that will work together for this build. So if there is a parts list to be had please post it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
your motor can handle 5-10psi (depending on the size of the turbo of course), but if you are going to rebuild it would probably cost about as much to buy a d16z6 long block; and the the rods/tranny/vtec head/displacment make the z6 an all around better motor than the b2...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks spoolinsol but I am definately keeping the b2 and definately not switching to vtec. Basically I just need to know if I can do a regular b2 rebuild and boost it as is. Or do I need to do different pistons, rods, etc.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
if you are SURE you want to run the b2 (on no more than 10psi) then a rebuild on your d15 will be fine for ~200whp. Rods for a d15 are pricey, so if you are gonna stay w/ the b2, i'd jsut go stock block/low boost. But i warn you; boost is like crack, and you WILL want to up the boost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again spoolin. Since this is not a daily driver I doubt I will go bidder with the turbo. On stock block I probably would limit the boost to 8psi to somewhat play it safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts