Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I have noobish questions, but I have been trying to do a lot of reading and I was wondering, when going turbo is it okay to install the turbo first then start building the engine (new cam, valve springs, etc.). Or should i do the engine then buy the turbo last? I know the engine can pretty much withstand up to about 220 hp then shtuff will start breaking. Sorry, I'm a n00b, any help will be nice, :rockon: !

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
I'd personally do the build first. Why put a turbo setup on just to take it off shortly after. Break your motor inn na, then do the turbo setup. Much less work IMO

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for sure, thats wat i thought, then wat should i start on first?
Can anyone give me a quick break down of how they would go about putting turbo on their civic. (i have a 96 civic hx if that makes any difference) sorry for being a n00b :asshole: :shoot:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
Frost White EJ1
98 Posts
Yeah, no question at all. If you want to put down any serious power that will be reliable, build before you boost.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
I have definately read that whole thing, has alot of amazing information, its just so much to take in that i should probably read it again, the hardest thing to understand is the ECU part (the one you put up) like u sed its a fery confusing topic, but i guess i just gotta read more
The bottom line is if you want more than 250HP or you feel you want a safety margin... build the block. What model car and motor are we talking about anyways?

Google how to put a turbi kit on a civic... there are a shit load of walk throughs for ya bud
The H-T thread: -->COMPLETE How-To:: Turbocharge Your Honda // Rep-ing Hypnotik Speed - Honda-Tech

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
i have a 96 civic hx, with a d16y5
No wonder you are confused about tuning. I'm a little confused about some of the stuff with your car. You have VTEC-e, which is of course it's own special thing. You can get both an AEM F/IC and Greddy emanage Ultmate for your car. That would allow you to keep your stock ECU and work from there.

There are several advantages with you car to staying OBD2. The D16y5 is the only D-series with an EGR valve. It also has a different VTEC crossover point and fuel/ignition maps. Using the piggyback allows all that to stay in place.

With a OBD2a-OBD1 conversion using a P28, you can't use the stock Z6 maps to run your Y5. You should be able to find someone with a .bin for a D16Y5 running OBD1 (although I'm not sure). This also doesn't address removing the EGR valve and the restrictive stock intake manifold. I believe you can get reground cams for your motor, but no one makes anything on a new core. Your other option there is to just convert your head to a Y8 valve train and be done with VTEC-e. Add a Y8 manifold and trans while you're at it and you've done away with the "efficiency" stuff that's hampering performance. Then you pretty much will have a Y8 and can tune it as such. (BTW... you're going to want the trans swap sooner than later)

It's your call. I would probably look into using a piggyback if I was going to keep my block stock. If you're looking to put down some real numbers, you've got some decisions to make.

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
first you need a swap... junk that hx y5. (when i pulled mine out i just left it on the side of the road)

pick up a z6 and do a simple build.

check peoples build threads for info, there is lots to be found

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
what not do it all at once? First thing I'd do is go to Fjdistributors.com and get rods and pistons, then i'd talk to greg from go-autoworks.com and buy a turbo kit from him. and as far as valvetrain goes (i like going with the best) id get a bisimoto cam (can also get exospeed, crower,etc for cheaper) and springs from KMS and retainers depending on the cam size you want. It's smart to redo some gaskets while your at it. GL with your decision. anyone on here that knows me even a little bit knows that i cant make up my mind lol. I've gone from turbo, itb, mild na build, nitrous... the list goes on haha.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts