Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was just wondering (because its not talked about a whole lot) about the break in period after honing the cylinder walls and installing new pistons...
how long is the break in?
how should i drive durring break in?

i saw this website which is linked to in another thread but im not sure what to think of it... give me your opinions.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
You could get a thousand answers from a thousand different people...
Seems there are as many opinions as there are tuners. So it's really hard to know how to do it.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whatever you do, change the oil a lot :)
well im just about at the 200 mi mark... how often should i change the oil... now? 500 mi? 1000 mi?

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
k lol damn, good thing i asked, i was just going to wait till 500 mi... ill be on my way to jiffy lube in about 5 mins... so what are peoples views about break in? drive it hard or take it slow for the first 2k miles?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
The break in procedure in the haynes manual looks good to me. Which is like do a bunch of 20 to 50 pulls then drive is aggressive or something, I forgot exactly what it is.....

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
i think thats the right way.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
fire it up,resume the tire roasting. change oil once the fun is over.

·
Registered
EK 96
422 Posts
well a have then a PROBLEM A LIVE FROM WORK 50 MILES IT IS 100 MILES GOING AND GETTING BACK SO I WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE OIL DAILY FOR A WEEK AND FILTER

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
I am curious about this also, if running boost would I need to run a lower amount of boost until broken in, or break it in at 8 psi where I am now then jack up the boost after 1500 miles?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Um, why would you take your car to Jiffy lube? Do you know how many peopl have their cars jacked up because the ill-trained and careless people that are making just above minimum wage don't know and/or care about your car?

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
Um, why would you take your car to Jiffy lube? Do you know how many peopl have their cars jacked up because the ill-trained and careless people that are making just above minimum wage don't know and/or care about your car?
+1 !!!! Change your own oil. It's easy and you'll know it's done right. I know a guy that works at one. Trust me you don't want him within 20 feet of your car.
I also plan on using the hard break-in meathod when my engine is done.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
should have asked how to brake it in before you hit 200 miles. lol the rings are mostly broken in by now. keep driving it like you have, changing the way you drive to brake it in isnt going to do much now.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, i know im a little late thanking for the responses... yesterday was my b-day and superbowl, so a lot of shit to do... im thinking that the break in went okay because after reading about the hard breakin, i went and tore ass and let me tell you this, i did a 120 mph pull on the highway and it got there a lot quicker than it used to... and as far as the jiffy lube thing... its the next best thing when you have an hour before you have to be somewhere and you dont feel like getting dirty before you have to leave... so ill let them do it once... (and check their work)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Start it up let idle for 20 -30 mins, change oil. Then go beat the crap out of it, if it doesnt break change the oil and your good to go. If something is wrong and you baby it your just prolonging the inevitable.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Yeah, everybody does it different.... I've blown motors up both ways, letting it break in for 500 and dumping the clutch as soon as it starts... take your pick...lol But like everyone is telling you... CHANGE THE OIL OFTEN!!!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
And remember, DO NOT use synthetic oil for break-in period! Low-grade mineral oil only, I did it "hard way" and used SAE30 monograde oil.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts