Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like I didn't think this through very well, lol. I'm planning on re-building my motor within about the next month; and i was planning on swapping in a new clutch while the motor was out. What i forgot about was that the motor needs a HARD break-in for at least the first 20 miles, while the clutch needs an EASY break-in for 500 miles.

Am i right in assuming that i just need to break in my motor with the stock clutch, and then put the new clutch in after the motor break-in?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pending the knowledge you just gave me, that's what i would do!
thx for the feed back

also: i will be breakin in the motor running 8psi on a 14b... i don't think that will make a differnece, but i guess i'll just throw that out there...

·
Registered
76 Posts
hard break in? you shouldent be taking it over 3k for the first 500 miles, so thats ok to break in the tranny at the same time.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hard break in? you shouldent be taking it over 3k for the first 500 miles, so thats ok to break in the tranny at the same time.
hard break-in for the motor = running the motor hard for the first 20 miles seats the rings better ( http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm ).

Most clutches have a 500 mi break-in period (not suppose to more than 1/2 throttle)... not sure what you are talking about when you say i'm goin to break my tranny...

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
yup, ive thrown plenty of cars on the dyno after just buildin the motor and have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
ceramic clutches dont really need break in... I vote just put in a 6puck and let her EAT!!!

and yup hard breaking is the shit and its fun :)

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
hell yea it is! started my car after the fresh bottom end when in. Let it idle for a bit while i fucked with some things, then as i puled out of the parking lot, did a nice burnout through 2nd ebfore i even hit the road :)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
o in the snow... Id wait for a nice clear day.. you want load to be on the motor not just RPM lol... in the snow spining=little to no load.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If I were you I would definitely take the time to replace the clutch after your engine breaks in. I would be royally pissed if my new clutch didn't seat right because I was too impatient to do a 2 hour clutch swap.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
o in the snow... Id wait for a nice clear day.. you want load to be on the motor not just RPM lol... in the snow spining=little to no load.
i'm planning on waiting for a day when the streets have salt so i can get traction; and get over to the highway ASAP and go crack some gears on the highway until i hit ~20 miles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts