Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been giving this some thought for some time now and I'm not sure entirely what I want to do.

I want to turbo the d16, and I want to make decent power. I want it to be reliable as well.

However the decision I'm trying to make now is 1 or 4 things.

The hardest part is I would just slap a turbo kit on it and shoot for 220, but my motor is pretty ratchet already and has 190k miles on it. I'm doing good just to be driving it along, it's so pathetically weak.

I want to be able to build or rebuild the engine and still drive it until "swap day". So if I decide one of the first two I will be looking for a spare block etc. Now keep in mind if I chose the 3rd option it will start our stock and eventually be built with Vitara etc. when I get bored with 220 and want more.

d16y7 w/ d16y8 head, transmission, and intake manifold - Vitara Build w/ Pistons, Custom length rods, stock head.

d16y7 w/ d16y8 intake manifold, transmission - Stock Rebuild

and here is where I start flying in to the grey area.

Picking up a d15b / zc to boost and shoot for 220. I know it seems like a long step backwards to go forwards, but I have not seen a reasonable price on a block yet. Most people want 500$ for something that needs to be rebuilt, or in most cases. In 2,000,000 pieces in their garage and given to me in a 5gallon container.

Anyways, thanks for the input. I'd realistically like to achieve 300+ whp in the end; however, i'm content with 200-215 to start out and getting my feet wet with it.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S I have built engines before. That is not a concern of mine whatsoever, the decision making is what I lack in.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Do it once or you'll end up like me. For all intents and purposes I've had 3 engines (going on a fourth) in my car and have been happy with each set up ... but I think this last one is really going to be what I want. I say go for your end goal right away I think in the long run it will be cheaper and just over all a better decesion. Get a spare block, build it to handle 400 whp (because why not over build a little). Piece your turbo kit together. And get a reliable, smile inducing car.

You want 300 whp ... why settle for less in the mean time. Go get it.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just found a complete d16y8 w/ trans, ecu , harness for $400.00 it still runs but I will rip it all apart , plus for 400$ I cant really beat it with trans,head,block.....we will see tho, half of this thread of "what to do's" is based on availability.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Pick you power goal and build towards it.

Cant go wrong with either engine if you build it to handle your goals.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why no option for full d16y8 swap like you said above? That way you have the option like to drive the car up until you decide to put the motor and turbo all on. Less downtime seems worth the price IMO.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I would go with the y7/y8 stock setup, the stock limits on a d15 are around 180whp from what I have read. If you can get a full y8 swap I would buy it and build it on the side for 300whp then swap it all in when ready, I just cant handle stock civic power so im one for boosting first and building later when you get bored

·
Registered
civic
2,086 Posts
easy answer you want a supercharged not turbo d with high comp pistons that way you dont have to create power from the turbo you have your high comp pistons doing that already then you bolt on a supercharger that wil give you decent street powa you dont have to go thru the bullshit of doing all that piping/modding/ect.. and it sounds purdy too.. just my opintion..

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Ya that's only like 10 bucks a gallon or something. I vote f22 turbo. Basically a big ass d series but more torque.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why no option for full d16y8 swap like you said above? That way you have the option like to drive the car up until you decide to put the motor and turbo all on. Less downtime seems worth the price IMO.
I thought the y7 and y8 blocks were identical? I actually run a y7 block on my y8 build because I couldn't find any decent y8's at the time I built mine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ya that's only like 10 bucks a gallon or something. I vote f22 turbo. Basically a big ass d series but more torque.
I filled two cars with av115 for $25, they were telling me im dumb and it wont run any engine cuz its expired. I didnt notice any difference, I was expecting the car to start flying.

I think he should get a j32 and a 6speed out of a wrecked TL. I mean, it'l have more hp that a stock-block turbo D. It'l reach 300hp N.A relatively easily. And they're the torque-ist Honda motors available.

Plus, they're still SOHC like D's & F's. Only downside is that you need a standalone to use the good J's like the j32a3

·
Premium Member
1994 Civic CX Hatch
40 Posts
If I was you I'd spend a little extra money now and build a spare to handle more than you power goal so that after you meet it and if you get bored with it all you have to do is a. turn up the boost or b. buy a bigger turbo. Spend a little extra now to save money in the future. That's what I'm doing at least

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I filled two cars with av115 for $25, they were telling me im dumb and it wont run any engine cuz its expired. I didnt notice any difference, I was expecting the car to start flying.

I think he should get a j32 and a 6speed out of a wrecked TL. I mean, it'l have more hp that a stock-block turbo D. It'l reach 300hp N.A relatively easily. And they're the torque-ist Honda motors available.

Plus, they're still SOHC like D's & F's. Only downside is that you need a standalone to use the good J's like the j32a3
You do realize that high octane fuel does not automatically create more power. It's resistance to detonation. So your expired fuel could have very well damaged your motor over time. :no:
Also, you may have actually lost power while running the fuel because high octane fuel burns slower because it's more stable under pressure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts