Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D15B7 non vtech block that came out of my civic and I would like to build it up. I will also be using a d16z6 vtech head. I'm only trying to do somewhat of a moderate build, but for turbo. I would like hear any suggestions anyone has.

I was thinkin....

stock crank
eagle rods
pistons?
crower cam
and a rear mount turbo

any suggestions...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you say i shoudn't run vtech? I must have looked wrong at those rods. any suggestions on rods then? does the rear mount turbo really have that much lag to it? I was just thinkin it would be better because it is a cooler temp under the car than it would be under the hood. Like i said need help. I'm just asking questions because i'm new at all of this.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
+1 for getting a 1.6L block if you want to build a bottom end, it will be much cheaper...

is there anyway we can just disable the letter 'h' on this site? things would go so much smoother...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my bad about the vetc. is the only problem with the 1.5 cost? Is there potential power in the 1.5 if i do build it? Its what i have. so is there any other things i can do for power out of the 1.5? what kind of pistons should i use?

·
Registered
55 Posts
my bad about the vetc. is the only problem with the 1.5 cost? Is there potential power in the 1.5 if i do build it? Its what i have. so is there any other things i can do for power out of the 1.5? what kind of pistons should i use?
You can find a z6 block cheap. If I were you, I would call around the local yards you have and ask them. Keep your 1.5 running, and build up a 1.6. #1) Not much down time when you build up another engine and swap it out. #2) If something blows, you have a spare! ;) Just a suggestion. Im assuming you have a P06 ECU if you have the 1.5 DX/LX non VTEC. Also, not difficult to convert to VTEC. Here's an awesome site on ECU's www.pgmfi.org Oh, forgot, most the guys here are running the 8.5:1 Vitara's with boosted applications. They hold up VERY well from what I have researched and extremely inexpensive compared to performance ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
see i have a D15B SOHC VTEC from hmotorsonline.com in my car right now. i was just going to take the head off of that one and put it on the block i have. I already had the d15b7 tanked and honed. i thought that was going to be alright and not too bad to build. i was actually told that that was one of the easiest to motors to work on and to build. I was hoping i could just build that. i mean is it that hard to get power out of it? and if not is it just cost? how much would it cost to pick up a 1.6? I mean i don't really know a whole lot about this stuff i'm just trying to get some advice. Thanks to all of you who are helping. I'm just a newbie at all of this still.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
d15b is the same as a d16z6 (i'm 99% sure) you should be able to use eagle rods and any d16 pistons in a d15b...
not the same at all...

d15b vtec uses 1.6 rods, yes. but the crank is different, main bearings, pistons are unique, cam, etc. it also has a shorter stroke

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i should just go with the eagle rods? or should i go and buy crower rods? I just don't want to buy anything that i won't be able to use in my build. and i'm guessing that the vitara pistons are the way to go? let me know

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but what if i use the stock crank? Will i still be able to use the eagle rods? and go with the vitara pistons?

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
I think you should be able to. The pistons will stick out of the cylinder a little so you'll need to get a custom thickness gasket but I believe there was another guy on here who has done it. Try searching and it should come up.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Man, i just couldnt help but notice the learning process..
from vtech...
to vetc...
to finally getting it right!!

Welcome to the site man! You got good answers from among the best members already!

G/L!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, someone sugested swaping to a 1.6 which wasnt a bad idea. If you choose not to go this route there are still options. You can run a stock crank and still make great horsepower.(Hondas have a pretty strong crank). You can also use and D16 piston you choose. Rods are kind of a problem.(mostly too expencive). You may be able to modify stock rods to accomidate your build. You could try having them "shot peened" or cryo treated. I think those two things may be able to hande your horsepower goals, since you said you are looking to do a moderate turbo build. Other than that the cam sounds like a good idea as well, after that a good tune and I think you will be happy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh yeah and as for the rear mount...F%!K it. It will be a lot of time, money and fabrication for nothing. Good luck with your build man.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts