Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Was wondering if anyone could give me any tricks or hints on installation of motor mount inserts. Difficulty? Review? Just some help. Thanks all !

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,477 Posts
because the internet isn't full of all this information already? because energy suspension didn't include instructions?

Let me google that for you

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
because the internet isn't full of all this information already? because energy suspension didn't include instructions?

Let me google that for you
Does he really need google to tell him how to use a socket wrench and a few gear wrenches?

Or a doctor? :devil: :willy_nilly: :chris:

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,226 Posts
I've installed several, and they actually CAN be a complete pain. They are made a hair wider to eliminate slop, but that makes getting the rear bracket hard to get on. I can't recall if it was the ES or Prothane mounts that needed some additional love, but I had to remove some material to get the rears to stay put.

I also use a channel locks to press them together while the bracket was slid over them, and used silicone lube on the outside to get the bracket to slide over them easier.

As far as a review, I've had them on my turbo D16 for nearly a decade w/o issues. It was daily driven from spring to fall for several years. I also have them in my F22 F2B & H23A-vtec H2B cars. Zero engine movement, almost no wheelhop, far less vibration than full poly mounts.

FYI: ES only offers the rear & torque mount locations, while the Prothane kit only covers the rear & sides and is stiffer. The driver's side kit is actually a full replacement and is as stiff as any known full poly mount, so I only recommend it if you use the softer inner puck w/ several large holes drilled in it (reduces vibration).

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I have a prothane kit for my car. Its a weird rectangle thing that takes up slop on drivers side, simple 2 half on tranny upper and rear.

Rear mount was super easy. Ziptie the halves together, and once everything is lined up, throw the bolt through.
EDIT I had to cut little rubber bump on upper part of rear mount before it fit. Kit was for manual. Auto mounts have little extra bump, else identical

I did my car with basic tools and minimal swearing in under 2 hours.

Driver side was a hugepain in the butt, I had vicegrips twisting one side in as the other side was gapped to allow mount thing to be slipped into place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude what's with half of you fuckin clowns?! Yeah i f'n googled it, yeah it comes with instructions, no I've never f'n installed them or used them before. Simply was wondering if anyone could share there experiences. Thanks to those of you who have and fuck off to the rest if you dicks

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,477 Posts
you seem mad, sand in your vagina?

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
Dude chill and grow some thicker skin. Flying off the handle and insulting the sites user base as a whole isn't going to get you anywhere.

People come to this site and demand relatively simple advise all the time so expect the norms here to be a bit tired of dealing with bullshit.

Speak with intelligence along with maturity and typically that's what you will get in return.

This place is a bit of a goldmine for information and ideas not typically found elsewhere, you may not understand yet but typically the best forums with the best information are less willing to put up with BS and can push your buttons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm fine. Totally understand what you're saying. One twelve year old, one seven year old and a seventeen year old step daughter has gave me some "thick skin". My frustration with the responses was due to the frustration with installing these damn motor mount inserts. That being said, the reason I joined this forum was because of the wealth of information and knowledge on here and I guess I didn't expect a few smart asses here and there. So from here on out I'll expect it and not be taken so off gaurd. So back to the motor mounts I go....

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Hey. Was wondering if anyone could give me any tricks or hints on installation of motor mount inserts. Difficulty? Review? Just some help. Thanks all !
Difficulty - Easy

Review - Not worth it, wear too fast, window sealant and old motor mounts feel about the same. IF you want real solid mounts go aluminium.

Is the rest of your car maintained and ready to support this? I mean why do the bushings and not the shocks, brakes, tie rod ends etc while you are there taring it apart.

Do you have a turbo, are you drag racing, or just looking to replace old tired parts?

Now go wash out your cookie and get back to it. We act this way because we care...about this site. This process weeds out the weak. Which are you?

edit: saw your post....my post still stands.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Window weld or urethane casting compound in very clean mounts is a better option imo. Personally I like my mounts solid steel or aluminum.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had them in my CRX. They do make the installation of the mount back in the car a bit more difficult. They stick out past the edge of the mount. To fix it just pry open the other side of the mount a bit, reinstall, then torque the bolt to tighten it back up.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
Window weld or urethane casting compound in very clean mounts is a better option imo. Personally I like my mounts solid steel or aluminum.
window weld ftw

I'm actually solidifying the 4 mounts for my EJ7 today.

3M #08690
Shore hardness scale:60~65A

Brand new mounts + 3M = cheap, easy, solid mounts.

I had done this to my old 99 protégé ES and I've also done it to blown out PT Cruiser mounts. Works great. Cornering, road feel, torque, braking all improved.
Can make the ride louder but I'm a driver that doesn't care about road noise. I just turn up the SA-8.

To the OP, did you have good luck with the inserts? Did you even use them?

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Ive done the 2 part urethane to fill in a set of mounts. Worked fine for a short period of time/drag racing.

Ive been advised that there is a brush on "primer" that's needed to make the new stuff to stick to the mount. But I have not found it yet. Would like to soon, building another car soon. I have a spray can of Adhesion Promoter, may give that a shot

·
Registered
ej8
104 Posts
I had used this inserts on all 3 bushings . Its only last there one week, after I put stock bushings back. there was crazy vibration and noise, I thought my car gonna loose all bolts and nuts

I do not recommend you unless that is track car

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Ive had all 3 mounts with inserts for about 3 months now.

warm idle is about the only annoying thing. Not a whole lot of interior rattle, though it shows how loose my manual window regulators are. and how loose the broken center vents are.

I thoroughly enjoy the crispness of shifts

1 - 20 of 20 Posts