Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a master kit of poly bushings for my 2000 Civic. After living with it daily for a couple months, I feel like I'm ready to give a proper review.

First of all, I installed these MYSELF. Do I have a hydraulic press? No. I burned the bushings out with fire and it SUCKED. If you were thinking about doing this method, it does work. But you will be doing A LOT of work for one damn control arm. My advice here is to save some extra money, take the parts off and have a friend drive you and your suspension to a machine shop that will press out the old bushings and press the new ones in.

The kit came with mostly front suspension bushings, which makes sense since it's an FWD car. I didn't install the shifter bushings or steering rack bushings because I already got poly shift bushings and the steering rack bushings wouldn't be worth my time/effort. Everything else was installed.

So my car is 15 years old now, and all the bushings are soft and/or breaking, so I decided to do some maintenance/upgrade my car so it'll last even longer. WOW did they make a difference. You wouldn't think they would, BUT THEY DO. Everything is tighter, sharper. Also, all the little bumps are more annoying. I actually SOFTENED my Koni Yellows a lot to make the ride more bearable. Seems I was compensating for the soft old bushings with tighter suspension. If you drive on reasonably smooth roads, no problem at all. If your roads suck, wellllllllll you'll hate life.

What happens when you tighten the suspension to race mode and give it the beans in a corner? :censored::censored::censored::censored: GOOOOOOOOOOODDD!!!!!!! The turn in feels more direct and the car wants to grab that road like a terrified toddler clings to its mother. Everything movement of the suspension feels like it's tightened up and a little racier. My street tires aren't the best, but they feel like racing slicks when I tighten up my shocks.

Oh, and by the way, I bought the black graphite impregnated ones that have a self-lubricating property. You'd probably think that with poly bushings all around, the squeaking is unbearable. So how's the squeaking? What squeaking? :euro: I have felt the normal red ones and these black ones do feel a bit slimier even before they touched grease. And that little thing of grease they give you is DEFINITELY not enough for the whole kit. I recommend some sort of marine grease that's water-proof (that's what it used for the rest of the bushings).

I'm honestly very pleased with this upgrade. If I had to do it again, I'd definitely take my suspension to get it pressed instead of banging with a hammer and melting rubber all day. But the result is definitely worth it if you like to do the occasional canyon run or take your car to the track sometimes. Definitely better for driving feel as well.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Yea.. my squeaks ive pretty much gotten used to..

fuckin car sounds like an old 84 econoline van

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
When I installed mine I lubed the holy hell out of em...5 or 6 years now...no squeeks.

Fyi....I found the fastest way to get the old bushings out...cut the rubber section out...then take a Sawzall. .cut a slit in steel sleeve..take a chisel punch and hammer and curl the old sleeve At the slits

·
Registered
97 civic ex
19 Posts
I've invested in these too, i still have more than half of them to install after 2 months of having them lol. My only fit is Energy doesn't make rear upper/lower control arm bushings so you either have to buy the Prothane's which are almost just as much as the master kit, or buy some whatever ones from wherever!

fuckin car sounds like an old 84 econoline van
LOL

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I have a kit that I bought over a year ago that I still need to install lol. Now that I have a press at work and I have multiple vehicles I should really install them.

Great review, curious did you get an alignment?

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you can aim
BFH (big fokin hammer)
1 socket size of bushing
another socket oversized
sorry forgot actual sizes
level it out and hit hard
DONE!

·
Registered
8 Posts
So long as you chock the suspension before tightening, these can be very good. I have gone back and forth between these, hard race, and Mugen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts