Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I risk going all out with the vitaras like JFK or should I just do the endyn's?
Reason I single out the vitaras on this and not the sleeves is because JFK cracked his sleeve because of the vitara.

I do want to shoot for the stars with this one but I am cheap and which ever way I go I will not sleeve the motor, I am cheap.

This is for a race car I plan to build not some construed idea of a street car or daily.
Only time it will be on the road is for going to meets and just for fun.

Opinions, anything?

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
I dont think JFK crack the sleeves cause of the vitaras, but going fast is not cheap.

·
Registered
92 hatchback
1,517 Posts
jfk cracked his sleeve because of the piston or because the tune was too aggressive?

Since you are cheap and you are trying to build a racecar (I cannot believe those two things are in the same sentence) build a vitara based engine and turn the boost up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iirc JFK had a vitara with a possible bad casting and it came apart due to the piston speed.
The wrist pin cracked the sleeve not the boost/hp.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jfk cracked his sleeve because of the piston or because the tune was too aggressive?

Since you are cheap and you are trying to build a racecar (I cannot believe those two things are in the same sentence) build a vitara based engine and turn the boost up.
Isn't that why we do d series builds over everything else, because they are cheap.
Also I am not cheap where it counts, ie: roll cage, brakes, tires, safety.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redundancy ftl.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Do you think it is normal for a 106-127 hp motor to f*ck up at 600+hp, 35-40psi of boost and 9000+ rpm? Eh....?

·
Registered
Jeep wrangler DD
225 Posts
Isn't that why we do d series builds over everything else, because they are cheap.
Also I am not cheap where it counts, ie: roll cage, brakes, tires, safety.
I have more into a d, than most people do thier b's. This same amount of money in a b would have me a killer SFWD/true street car....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I am that way now is because just for this car alone I've had:
- ITR
- high compression fully built b20vtec
- k20z3

So, naturally I am trying to save where I can while still getting reliable power. I've already thrown so much money down the drain and it sucks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have more into a d, than most people do thier b's. This same amount of money in a b would have me a killer SFWD/true street car....
The set up I am going for I am limited to a D16.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
First off, JFK cracked stock sleeves, and on his sleeved block, he actually cracked the BLOCK.

Secondly, I doubt you are going to get Endyn to build you a bottom end unless you are very, very lucky because Larry has canned the production of the D-series rollerwaves.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are still listed for sale on his site.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,939 Posts
Assuming you're doing a turbo build?

Vitara pistons are cheap and have proved to be a reliable piston in most cases. They are cast aluminum.

Endyn (Wiseco) pistons are forged and have a combustion surface that's designed to improve flame propagation.

Vitara = cheaper
Endyn = stronger, better design

Don't go Vitara unless you're turbo...only application they're good for

As far as I know Endyn still sells them. Wiseco makes them for Endyn on a as-needed basis. I certainly didn't have any problems getting mine 8 months ago. Who knows, maybe things have changed. Wouldn't surprise me...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Secondly, I doubt you are going to get Endyn to build you a bottom end unless you are very, very lucky because Larry has canned the production of the D-series rollerwaves.
this^^^

unless the roller waves are just sitting in inventory you're out of luck.
ive emailed him several times asking questions and seeing what services he still offers but he has shut down ALL of his D-series based services/products...i asked for a price on a set of roller waves before i ended up getting my arias slugs and all i got back was NO D-series....

get ahold of jfk @ sf

1 - 20 of 36 Posts