·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
yea so i failed my emissions, Hydrocarbons (HC) me-->1.11 wats ok--->1.00
CarbonMonoxide (CO) me->26.62 wats ok--->12.00
OxidesOfNitrogen (NOX) me-->1.75 wats ok--->2.50

so fail, fail, pass ....can anyone tell me whats up? dose it need a new cat.?
any bandaids for this problem?

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
can't tell you if you need a cat but for a band-aid, look at a better auto parts store for the 104-plus in the green bottle. they clain it will help you pass sniff. I live far enough out that I don't have to worry about it.
of course, you might just need a tune-up.
good luck

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tune up eh, i havent changed my plugs in a while to think about it ,anyone got say on this? valve lash recently, new oil, hmm so an incomplete burn is doing this?

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mods? well its turboed, um yeah u kno the usaual headrs,turbo, wastegat,IC, pipes, BOV, uberdata, bluetop dsms', i have the egr recirculating now unlike what it is in the pic in my avi
the exaust housing gose to 3" Downpipe gose to the stock cat and i use a exaust dump before that, but i kept it closed for the test so they wouldent suspect u kno excssive loudness from where the muffle isnt at (IE by the front)
well yea so hmm i dunno what else unless the exaust jus sits infront of the cat some how and builds up CO, or could be my tune is not set for eviormetaly-hippie/treehugger friendly

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
I'm With Jimmy

I say you have cat trouble, and HC is just unburned gas, running rich perhaps, tone down your Fuel pressure for the test, maybe you have cylinder starting to miss. Either way a new car may solve the minor HC problem as well.

-TAG

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new plugs,upgraded bigger cat, tha green 104+ stuff, Fuel pressure hmm, a missing cyl. prolly between shifts or on/off the gas (i heard a pop sometimes when they did that)

a new car, *sigh* wish there were FC's and FD's around my place in good condition/$$...but the d for now, maby after im done being a teen tho

W

·
0 Posts
Man that suck what do they do if you fail because in florida they don't have that HAHAHA naw but foreal they don't have it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well you are way on the rich side. CO is a richness indicator. Your running uberdata right? So have someone lean out the part throttle and lower r.p.m. range. You may have fouled your catalytic converter by now.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
yep youre running too rich. lean out the vacuum columns.

either that or find a "friendly" place to get your inspection done

·
Registered
92 EH2
439 Posts
just an f.y.i. just becouse Nox is low doesnt mean it wont change when HC and Co go down. Nox is produced by temps above 2500F in the combustion chamber, so all that extra fuel is cooling down the cylinder and with less fuel your cylinder can get hotter. I have had this happen to me countless times. but eventually you can figure it out.

·
Registered
910 Posts
the EH said:
just an f.y.i. just becouse Nox is low doesnt mean it wont change when HC and Co go down. Nox is produced by temps above 2500F in the combustion chamber, so all that extra fuel is cooling down the cylinder and with less fuel your cylinder can get hotter. I have had this happen to me countless times. but eventually you can figure it out.
This is very true, but as long as his cat is working it should pass.

V

·
0 Posts
lean that bitch out!, change your cat, maybe fit another one on the back of the existing cat. all that is un-burned fuel! theres a reason that you want a 14:1 a/f ratio, its to pass emissions tests! but seriously get a new cat, and turn the tune down, dont you have multiple tune maps? if not you should get a "race" and a "granny mode" that way you can just load up ur 2nd map whenever you need to go get smogged.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
i know some people here actually pass with only using a little bit of 89 octane...
burns different lower the boost lean it out..and use a cutout..lol

all kinds of ways to "cheat the system

1 - 20 of 22 Posts