Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After working on my car yesterday I ran into a strange problem (Fixing a distributor). Whenever my car goes above 900rpm all the lights (head light, tail light, dash light, anything that has a bulb) starts to fade in and out like a pulse. If it's below that mark it's fine, but it even happens when I drive. Also, my speedo stopped working and obviously my cluster stopped counting miles. Sometimes for a second or so it blips up and acts normal then shoots back down. I reset the ECU a million times. Any ideas? I'm sure it's electrical but I wouldn't know where to really start. Thanks

1998 honda civic d15b7 bottom end, z6 head. obd2a wiring harness, obd1 conversion to a p28 ecu

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
u check all the grounds yet? make sure their clean and tight. if the lights are fading as the rpm is changed id start with the alternator.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked all the grounds and have a fresh battery and alternator. Even the thermostat ground was good

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, it's not the RPM, it's the speedometer. Idk if the Vss is bad because sometimes the speedo will pop up for a second but only to 20 mph then drop back down. The connection is good to the VSS, but still no go.

·
3,332 Posts
hows the electrical connection to the speedo and to the cluster? ya maybe the speedo is bad, do you have the service manual for it? if not try and download it and see what the manual says for checking the sensor. i think it should have resistance readings maybe i dunno havnt troubleshooted a Electrical VSS before. hope someone else who had the same problem can help you further, ill search for the manual for ya though to help out :td: good luck bro

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cluster was good. I tried another one and it still had the same problem. I'm not sure if it's the Alt or not. Could the alternator be responsible for my speedo not working?

·
3,332 Posts
well alternator and battery problems can cause weird things but usually its with the rpm and not the speedo. hmm you can try getting the alt and battery tested and see what happens

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
battery is new, they said the charging was low on the alternator though, so I'm guessing that might be it, so now I gotta find another

1 - 10 of 10 Posts