Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i have a 88 CRX....
....so today i was removing the positive terminal from my battery and the handle side of my wrench touched the metal attachment for some sort of relay (located near passenger headlight).... it got stuck and smoke started coming from both headlights until i pulled it off. so i went to turn on the car and smoke started coming from the ignition so i turned it off. WTF.
so now from a park, when i turn the key so that just the radio comes on, if i press on the brake the radio turns off and the temp gauge goes up to the H.. when i release it goes back down. when i turn on the head lights the temp gauge goes up the H and the radio turns off for a brief moment then comes back on then the car starts to die... now, the car doesnt die anymore but the temp gauge still goes to Hot if i turn on headlights or press the brake.

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, ive checked all the fuses and theyre good. I also looked at the wiring in the engine bay and nothing looks burnt.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Even if the wires don't look burnt where you're looking, it's possible the sheathing came off else where in the harness and causing them to short together. Sorry to say, but it looks like it's time to get out the multi meter and start checking and tracing wires.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input.. so the smoke from the ignition when I turned the key is going the be the first place i look today.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
wow never heard of this happening. how much smoke was there i once shorted out a wire and fron the firewall to the fuse it was literally disinagrated. that might have happened and thats why you dont see any short or burnt wires. sorry i could not help more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ thanks for the input man, I'm thinking some wires got burnt together from the ignition, I will check it tomorrow after work and let you guys know.. I will definitely be more careful removing the battery terminals from now on out, such a headache.. i hate wiring!

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
save up for a new car

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ thanks for no help.. already got the family car/grocery getter (bmw). this is my work/play around with car. Funny that because I have a crx that Im automatically young or cant afford something else. lol

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
rattleman said:
Save up for a new car
that shit scares me, i allmost burnt down a car because the idiot i was going to buy it from didnt put a fuseable link in line with the gauge pod. The wires literally turned red and i burnt my hand when i ripped them off of the pillar and threw them outside.

there is a cap that goes onto the back of the ignition switch. Check back there you may have something shorted out back there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so turns out the main ground car was fried, replaced it and now everything is running smoothly again.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
^^ thanks for no help.. already got the family car/grocery getter (bmw). this is my work/play around with car. Funny that because I have a crx that Im automatically young or cant afford something else. lol
i meant that the car will prolly have more problems. just cuz you have a beemer doesnt me you youre rich either. hope it doesnt burn down on you while driving.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i meant that the car will prolly have more problems. just cuz you have a beemer doesnt me you youre rich either. hope it doesnt burn down on you while driving.
It runs great now, but of course there will be more problems.. its a 20 year old car. And you're right, I'm not rich. the whole beemer thing is just a front :holla:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts