Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me out with my electrical issues I have going with my car. Quick background on this, I did a motor build about 3yrs ago and everything worked great. No issues whatsoever. Well once I put the motor back in, I hooked up some A pillar gauges (well a friend of mine did) and noticed that my driver side headlight was dim and according to my gauge cluster, my high beams were on when the actually were on low beam. When I actually went to put my high beams on, the A pillar gauges shut off and my driver side headlight would shut off completely. I also started to develop a pulsing in everything (headlights, tail lights, running lights, gauge cluster and cd deck) I ripped out the A pillar gauges hoping that would fix my issue but problems still continue.

Now my driver side headlight will not turn on at all, and I'm still having this pulsing issue and my clock in my gauge cluster does not come on at all. I'm completely stumped. I've started to narrow down some stuff that I thought might be theculprit but obviously they have not fixed my problems.

I've replaced my battery, power cable, all the grounds and had my alternator checked out and that seems to be just fine. Im at a point with this that I just want to take the car in and have someone work on it. Please help or point me in the right direction

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Check the wires at the headlight plug for brakes.

Was the headlight wiring messed with at all?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not see any breaks in the wiring and the harness itself was never touched. Could the engine harness itself maybe of took a shit or is starting to take a shit on me???

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not an electrical genius but did you try checking fuses? I remember when I bought my car they rigged up the fuses some odd way and after a few months the high beams only had one coming on and it was making another light shut off(I can't remember if it was my gauge cluster or something else.) as well. You never know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would start by looking at the wiring for those new guages. Where did your friend tap in for power? Are they backlit? Where did he tap in for the backlight? Did he split a wire to tap in then reconnect it to a different wire?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not an electrical genius but did you try checking fuses? I remember when I bought my car they rigged up the fuses some odd way and after a few months the high beams only had one coming on and it was making another light shut off(I can't remember if it was my gauge cluster or something else.) as well. You never know.
I did check the fuses and they seemed to be all good. I will check again just to make sure.

I would start by looking at the wiring for those new guages. Where did your friend tap in for power? Are they backlit? Where did he tap in for the backlight? Did he split a wire to tap in then reconnect it to a different wire?
They are backlit, I will double check on exactly where he tapped into and I will take a picture of it as well to show you guys. It will not be for a couple days as I will be traveling for work. If my memory serves me correctly, he split a wire to tap in nd then reconnected it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts