Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Ok first of all I know I'll probably get backlash for doing this and flamed blah blah blah. This build is just for fun and just because I can kinda build. Lol. Also I work a lot so it might take a bit to finish so up front warning. Anyway I'm attempting to build what I'm calling a el civino. Still not 100% sure what all I wanna do but here's some pics of what I got done yesterday.

Attachments

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Still not 100% sure what all I wanna do.

No but seriously add some support to the rear of that thing is you plan on taking it down the road. The roof gives a unibody car a lot of reinforcement against pitch and roll.

I honestly don't care what you do with your car, who hasn't wanted to hack something up and make into something different... even if it is worse than the original.

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some 14ga stainless steel sheet metal that I plan on using to make the bed tubbed out like a mini truck. I'll build a small frame under the bed floor to level everything out and make the 14ga a bit stronger. I also have a Del sol rear window with regulator and wiring I plan on fitting up to the back. I am not planning on half assing this.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
the Del Camino is definitely a thing - all you have to do is take the trunklid off of a del sol and you're set

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
I'm interested in seeing this finished!

It does sound like you have thought about it more than once.

You should weigh what you remove and weigh what you add, just to see the difference, I doubt it will be lighter when you're done but who knows...

Good luck!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
only thing that bothers me is the fact its an ej1. sunroof cars arnt as rigid as solid roof, so youll need more stiffeners...

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm working on stiffening up the whole thing. I had planned on at least a 4 point roll bar tying into the rear towers to help stiffen and tie in the front to the back. Also I have started building a frame that I will set and weld into the back of the car to level the bed and help stiffen up everything. Hopefully with it all combined it will be fine. I also just bought this welder today so I don't have to drag the car to the shop anymore to weld anything! :) I'm super excited about it. I will end up posting more progress pics this weekend. Been working long days the last few days so not much has been done.

Attachments

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We'll see. It might cost a lot of money but I'm actually shooting for this being a budget build. I work at a company doing industrial maintenance and fabrication. So I will do all the work myself. The material I'm using is leftovers from jobs, I have access to a shop with basically everything imaginable to fabricate anything. So hopefully it doesn't end up costing a lot of money haha

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Well I've been super busy at work so not a whole lot has been done. But I wanted to do a mini update on the bottom bed frame and I also tacked up the rear top sheet metal. I did this as a reference for the frame work and the rest of the rear wall. Here's some pics lol

Attachments

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
I'm speechless but intrigued.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts